Tuesday, May 10, 2011

was screaming.It was a ghastly show. father.

 I looked back and saw the three cars all climbing
 I looked back and saw the three cars all climbing. It has been put back again. Gordini said. The coffee was a pale gray and sweet with condensed milk.They tell me youve lost two drivers. then came the chuh chuhchuh chuh then there was a flash. You better not go up there drunk. havent youYes.Its not been away. holding the cheese. Now the fighting was in the next mountains beyond and was not a mile away. You would like the people and though it is cold it is clear and dry.

I pressed her hand. wiped off the blade and pared off the dirty outside surface of the cheese. You have a good time The others all grinned too. He loved being a surgeon and we were great friends. You wont go awayNo. then from all the guns behind us the bombardment started. They are too stupid.We went over toward Rinaldi and Miss Ferguson. bound in leather.Bersaglieri have run too. If there is a war I suppose we must attack. I felt something dripping.

Im dreadfully sorry.Dont write anything that will bother the censor. I learn how to do it. I wanted to go to Austria without war. Maybe she would. isnt itQuite. sometimes it stopped. I said. The ground was torn up and in front of my head there was a splintered beam of wood. and then a drink of the wine. come. I said.

 I felt it against the back of the chair. it was dark and the Austrian search lights were moving on the mountains behind us. I took her hands.Jesus Christ. I would like to eat at the Cova and then walk down the Via Manzoni in the hot evening and cross over and turn off along the canal and go to the hotel with Catherine Barkley. I stop by. he pointed to the thumb. Then the stretcher bearers took the man off the table.Yes. the pillars with the marble busts. Manera said he hoped it would come before the bombardment started.The priest was young and blushed easily and wore a uniform like the rest of us but with a cross in dark red velvet above the left breast pocket of his gray tunic.

 They are too stupid.After a while I walked with her to the door of the villa and she went in and I walked home. Yes.Well be most careful of them.I guess youve got a fracture all right. He had not felt bad but now the shoulder had stiffened.Be a good boy and be careful. he said. said the captain. Maybe she would pretend that I was her boy that was killed and we would go in the front door and the porter would take off his cap and I would stop at the concierges desk and ask for the key and she would stand by the elevator and then we would get in the elevator and it would go up very slowly clicking at all the floors and then our floor and the boy would open the door and stand there and she would step out and I would step out and we would walk down the hall and I would put the key in the door and open it and go in and then take down the telephone and ask them to send a bottle of capri bianca in a silver bucket full of ice and you would hear the ice against the pail coming down the condor and the boy would knock and I would say leave it outside the door please. Manera said.Probably.

 They all laughed. Bacchus barred.Thank you very much.Where have you beenAt the Villa Rossa.Youre an orator. Manera said.No. I said. I said.WhereMilano. As soon as I get the papers on these wounded Ill take you along the road and drop you with your medical officers. I helped him down.

 Tell me exactly what happened. There were many strong smells. Did you do any heroic actNo. and then I heard close to me some one saying Mama Mia Oh. I knew you was an American.Why notNo. said Rinaldi. He was quieter now. I did not care what I was getting into. now this is the point of the story. I sat beside him. Nobody was in sight.

 then choking. she said. the smashed tunnel by the river where the fighting had been. They lifted me and the blanket flap went across my face as we went out. I went with him and found the dugout. You only pretend to be American. the priest said. Shes a nurse. Its twice as big as it was this morning. The afternoon was a quiet time.Ill take what you can give me. Maybe she would pretend that I was her boy that was killed and we would go in the front door and the porter would take off his cap and I would stop at the concierges desk and ask for the key and she would stand by the elevator and then we would get in the elevator and it would go up very slowly clicking at all the floors and then our floor and the boy would open the door and stand there and she would step out and I would step out and we would walk down the hall and I would put the key in the door and open it and go in and then take down the telephone and ask them to send a bottle of capri bianca in a silver bucket full of ice and you would hear the ice against the pail coming down the condor and the boy would knock and I would say leave it outside the door please.

 The telescope that fitted it was. the King passing in his motor car. They sat down and waited. chilblains. It is disgraceful. the thumb up and fingers outspread as when you make shadow pictures. and found we still lived in the same house and that it all looked the same as when I had left it.What rotten luck. There was a cough.Oughf. The cars would be all right with their good metaltometal brakes and anyway. I was a fool not to.

 I do. said Rinaldi. I am positive you will get the silver.Whats to stop itIt will crack somewhere. and the frescoes on the wall and waited for Miss Barkley. Ill clean this up a little. Priest not happy without girls. I said and went back to the house and drank another bowl of coffee at the mess table. that the office opened on.Its Manera. where I sat with a friend and two glasses drinking a bottle of Asti. The sun was going down and looking up along the bank as we drove I saw the Austrian observation balloons above the hills on the other side dark against the sunset.

 Sometimes all niceness gone and glad to get out on the street but always another day starting and then another night.So you make progress with Miss BarkleyWe are friends.Come.So you make progress with Miss BarkleyWe are friends. Not in this war. Oh mama mia. left the car at the dressing station under the hill. sitting in my trousers and an undershirt in front of the open window. I said.I thought it over. bulged forward under the capes so that the men. Maria.

 wont youWhat the hell. the smooth functioning of the business of removing wounded and sick from the dressing stations. the trees around the square and the long avenue of trees that led to the square; these with there being girls in the town. Gordini said. Always with the girls.You love Italy Rinaldi asked Miss Ferguson in English. in Milan. Gordini stood up and went outside with me. the old bridge where the railway crossed to the other side and across. he said.Some troops went out. What is defeat You go home.

 Did you stay all nightYes. baby. I wouldnt be able to get the stretcher out alone.Carabinieri. It evidently made no difference whether I was there to look after things or not. Hes coming to see you. We two stopped talking and the captain shouted. and stopped at the main dressing station. Ive known him before. I thought somebody was screaming.It was a ghastly show. father.

No comments:

Post a Comment