Tuesday, May 10, 2011

And you call me CatherineCatherine. and I spoke Italian.

 His nose was skinned and there was dust on the bloody patch and dust in his hair
 His nose was skinned and there was dust on the bloody patch and dust in his hair.I dont believe it. Some one took hold of me under the arms and somebody else lifted my legs. After some more wine I told the story of the jockey who found the penny.Sit down to it. stupid from inexperience. You should go to Rome. in Milan. Halfway through the wine I did not want any more.Thank you for the coffee beans. Thats what its for. sometimes it backed on a turn.

They may crack. the stump of his leg twitching.I wish you were back. then stood up. the captain said. They were moderately clean. They were very nice and we had a big evening. I lowered it into the mouth. I said. Over on the right they had the Duke of Aosta. They took off my trousers and the medical captain commenced dictating to the sergeant adjutant while he worked. Bring him a glass of brandy.

 baby. I know all about it now. baby How do you feel I bring you this It was a bottle of cognac. Dont you read it. and went through the trenches in the smasheddown town and along the edge of the slope. I was after him. I said. Fillipo Vincenza. They were a real mask. Goodby.Ill bring it to you. I dont mind at all.

What is the differenceA nurse is like a doctor. I practised with it.I wish you were back.You must go on leave at once. Would you like a drink of brandy How did you run into this thing anyway What were you trying to do Commit suicide Antitetanus please.As you wish. He shook his head at me. I thought I was coming back. the house for officers.Like the Tchecos. she said. Milan.

 Maybe she would pretend that I was her boy that was killed and we would go in the front door and the porter would take off his cap and I would stop at the concierges desk and ask for the key and she would stand by the elevator and then we would get in the elevator and it would go up very slowly clicking at all the floors and then our floor and the boy would open the door and stand there and she would step out and I would step out and we would walk down the hall and I would put the key in the door and open it and go in and then take down the telephone and ask them to send a bottle of capri bianca in a silver bucket full of ice and you would hear the ice against the pail coming down the condor and the boy would knock and I would say leave it outside the door please. and the world all unreal in the dark and so exciting that you must resume again unknowing and not caring in the night. Tenente. It would not finish it if one side stopped fighting. dont you It seemed it was a very funny joke if you understood it properly. long 6. But they are still fools. It has been put back again. A trench mortar shell. the stumps of trees projected. He was the Kings uncle and commanded the third army.A shell fell close and they both dropped to the ground and dropped me.

He does really. Manera said. It is the captain. Today I see priest with girls. With a sabre cut. the window open and the sunlight coming into the room. Maybe he was too goodlooking to be a. That is true. Tenente.The driver came out of the door with the papers for the wounded in the car. I threw away the goddam truss so it would get bad and I wouldnt have to go to the line again. she said.

 Bacchus or no Bacchus. My friend motioned for him to come in. Rinaldi said that the French had mutinied and troops marched on Paris. We talk too much even for the Tenente. Then I will take him with my first load. I said.I have to get washed and report. I sat beside him. the captain commenced picking on the priest. He recognized me and waved a forceps. we knew it was all over for that year. Beautiful young girlsaccompanied by their mothers.

 In the meantime we were all at the mess. and mark a cross on both legs. I say its rotten.No. It was what I had wanted to do and I tried to explain how one thing had led to another and finally he saw it and understood that I had really wanted to go and it was almost all right. I said. The mountain that was beyond the valley and the hillside where the chestnut forest grew was captured and there were victories beyond the plain on the plateau to the south and we crossed the river in August and lived in a house in Gorizia that had a fountain and many thick shady trees in a walled garden and a wistaria vine purple on the side of the house.That is not good. I watched the snow falling.Then well have to work.Shes nice. I say he bellows!I would like you to go to Abruzzi.

 Good by. Stop it. One is dead. The lieutenant said I slipped the truss on purpose. I looked across the wire at the Austrian lines. I got a rupture. These V.Goodnight. I said. I gave them each a package of cigarettes.It would be fine if you would take the cars. With your priest and your English girl.

 the bare ground was covered. You like herNo. My knee wasnt there. What hit youMe. I remembered where I was going. For two weeks now they havent changed them. They are too stupid.You drive.They tell me youve lost two drivers. Its beautiful language.I said I knew. with the eyes shut.

 the operation was successful. Could I join nowIm afraid not now. He came in very fast and bent down over the bed and kissed me. thats nothing to how it will feel later.You are ignorant. I watched her face. We passed a long column of loaded mules. I helped the soldier with the rupture up on the seat with us.Outside something was set down beside the entrance. Goodnight.Whats the trouble the war. Oh mama mia.

 baby. his hands moving very fast and the bandage coming taut and sure. little puppy.Are you unwoundedWe are both wounded a little.Its rotten. I opened the capsule and spilled him out into my hand.Im afraid it will make it bigger. Hold on to my neck. The major said there was an Italian story something like that about the duchess who could not sleep at night. holding below the target and trying to master the jerk of the ridiculous short barrel until I could hit within a yard of where I aimed at twenty paces and then the ridiculousness of carrying a pistol at all came over me and I soon forgot it and carried it flopping against the small of my back with no feeling at all except a vague sort of shame when I met Englishspeaking people. baby.Tonight you will tell me everything.

 the captain said looking at the priest and at me.That doesnt matter.We looked at each other in the dark. He was walking with a limp. Youve been away a long time. Would you like us to take the carsThats what I wanted to ask you. It was a nuisance to have them there but it was a comfort that they were no bigger. I do sometimes. I felt him in his metal box against my chest while we drove. They had come back for him.And you call me CatherineCatherine. and I spoke Italian.

No comments:

Post a Comment