Tuesday, May 10, 2011

said the lieutenant.Oughf. Every one laughed.

 and tenentecolonello (the little finger)
 and tenentecolonello (the little finger). Tell me really what was the best.Wash up and come as you are. Its not a wound.I sat on a chair and held my cap.The major spoke to an orderly who went out of sight in the back and came back with a metal basin of cold cooked macaroni. he said. When this road was finished the offensive would start. They tell me youre an American. Is there anything youd like to talk aboutBut I do love you. holding below the target and trying to master the jerk of the ridiculous short barrel until I could hit within a yard of where I aimed at twenty paces and then the ridiculousness of carrying a pistol at all came over me and I soon forgot it and carried it flopping against the small of my back with no feeling at all except a vague sort of shame when I met Englishspeaking people..

 I kissed both her shut eyes. There are a few real wounded. the captain said. I got down and went over. Doesnt anybody work nowSince you are gone we have nothing but frostbites.You should not let us talk this way.Look. Underneath we are the same. He laughed. The cognac is under the bed. selfinflicted wounds. You go away sototenente! You come back sotocolonello! They all laughed.

 My legs felt warm and wet and my shoes were wet and warm inside. said the major. Rinaldi was sitting on the bed with a copy of Hugos English grammar. I wiped my hand on my shirt and another floating light came very slowly down and I looked at my leg and was very afraid. said Manera. undid my tunic and tried to rip the tail of my shirt. With a sabre cut. Something landed outside that shook the earth.The captain. sucking in the ends. In two days the offensive was to start and I would go with the cars to Plava. The wine was bad but not dull.

 What made it pretty was that it sounded like Island. Maria.And youre all right I asked outside.Has there been any trouble getting parts I asked the sergeant mechanic. It seemed no more dangerous to me myself than war in the movies. yes. There was what was left of a railway station and a smashed permanent bridge that could not be repaired and used because it was in plain sight. SicilyHe should visit Amalfi.Cant I stay here. We talk too much even for the Tenente. dropping them in a basin. was lined with them.

 Ill be wise like you.Maybe girls dont want to go to the front any more. We are all splendid. The major said there was an Italian story something like that about the duchess who could not sleep at night. she said.Because the captain doctor knew I had this rupture. All the drivers wore puttees but Passini had only one leg. And you do love meYes. I said. We do get along. I love you too much. Whats the matter with this machineIts no good.

 You cant. I stroked her hair and patted her shoulder. The dead were off to one side.Ill bring it to you. Whats the matter with you Do you want us to come outside and get himThe two stretcher bearers picked up the man under the arms and by the legs and brought him in. We went on and passed the regiment about a mile ahead. He was dressed.No. and pounded on the window to attract his attention. He lived in Udine and came out in this way nearly every day to see how things were going. Miss Barkley was sitting on a bench in the garden. with many tastes alike.

 and a bandage around his head. brown mountains with a little green on their slopes.Is there anything I can do. so she loves Scotland better than England. But millions of fools like you dont know it. Then I thought of his puttees. In a moment the blanket in front of the dressing station opened and two stretcherbearers came out followed by the tall Englishman.Yes. They were going to put over another bridge when the bombardment started and some troops were to cross at the shallows up above at the bend of the river. I said. D.Yes.

 Its beautiful language. TenenteNo. I could not see the guns but they were evidently firing directly over us. While I was looking at him he opened his eyes.I walked behind her out into the garden. Anybody may crack. He bellows. the stumps of trees projected. I wish that I was with the British. Isnt itWhat is the stick I asked. but it was not successful. Miss Barkley was in the garden.

 Come with me if you want. The hall too. however. The coffee was a pale gray and sweet with condensed milk. At this point the priest left and I told the story about the travelling salesman who arrived at five oclock in the morning at Marseilles when the mistral was blowing. It was not a pleasant trip to the dressing room and I did not know until later that beds could be made with men in them. The major said he had heard a report that I could drink. The priest shook his head and went on. I said. I would go crazy. under a hill beyond the river.Of course they dont.

It sounds very funny nowCatherine. I handed it to Gordini. It is protected by the little hill. I went with him and found the dugout. It would be the same when the offensive started.If I go back theyll make me get operated on and then theyll put me in the line all the time. I dont go there any more. Your lovely cool goddess. Shall attack!The priest nodded.He was a very nice boy.Not like the English Not like Miss BarkleyOh. but with the difference between us.

 But even the peasants know better than to believe in a war. because they did not bombard it to destroy it but only a little in a military way. The shutters were up but it was still going on inside. His breath went away. There are some people who never realize. looking at my eyes all the time. baby. stirred by the breeze. The cars would be all right with their good metaltometal brakes and anyway. Every night priest five against one! They all laughed again. Some one was coming down the hallway. Ill take it very easily.

 The ovens and some deep holes had been equipped as dressing stations. I saw a third range of mountains. Im not. There were three others to locate. and I stood outside his cell and I said as though I were going to confession. as I went in.A sergeant shot two officers who would not get out. My orderly had finished pouring water and the bed felt cool and lovely and I was telling him where to scratch on the soles of my feet against the itching when one of the doctors brought in Rinaldi. Now they try to forget it.Thank you very much. I sat now in the chair and an orderly of some sort looked at me disapprovingly from behind a desk while I looked at the marble floor.Who goes to the attack asked Gavuzzi.

 We will convert him. I said. had some coffee in the kitchen and went out to the garage. A soldier came along after the last of the stragglers. Rocca said. Please. fat and prosperous and Vittorio Emmanuele.Do the men know that who attackI dont think so. Look how you are wounded. said the lieutenant.Oughf. Every one laughed.

No comments:

Post a Comment