Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I left them working. It was that which shook my faith.

 Miss Barkley was quite tall
 Miss Barkley was quite tall. I will write you cards to my family in Amalfi. As soon as I got to the dressing station Manera brought a medical sergeant out and he put bandages on both my legs.Yes. Manera and Gavuzzi each went off with a load of wounded. There is nothing as bad as war. Oh.No. Im leaving now for a show up above Plava.They dont give them like that. brushed my hair and we started.That priest.

 He stooped to go under the doorway and went out. the house for officers.I said I knew.So long. He started with the upright thumb and named in their order the thumb and four fingers. the basins and the stoppered bottles. and stopped at the main dressing station.Thats what the priest said. said the driver in Italian looking at the hernia man.The adjutant. I said.He should have fine girls.

 in order that I might understand perfectly. He has a rendezvous. I stood up. I felt I had a certain advantage. It ought to be good.You wouldnt want to go in the line all the time. The priest looked up. As soon as I got to the dressing station Manera brought a medical sergeant out and he put bandages on both my legs. She was not in the garden and I had to wait in the office of the hospital until she came down.Not like the English Not like Miss BarkleyOh.Youd better chew some coffee. I went back and told the drivers I would get them as soon as the food came.

The captain. Passini was quiet now. I said.Poor man. He bit his arm and moaned.That doesnt matter. Sometimes I think you and he are a little that way.We sat down on a bench and I looked at her.Oh.Because the captain doctor knew I had this rupture. Dont be a bloody hero. Ill wrap you up and dont bounce your head around.

 though. All alone at the war with no new girls. We caught them and passed them and turned off on a road that climbed up into the hills. We stood outside the door on the patch and he said. he said. no.Do they ever shell that battery Tasked one of the mechanics. We read. Because were going to have a strange life. So I went to the jail. The road here was below the level of the river bank and all along the side of the sunken road there were holes dug in the bank with infantry in them.You want us to stay here or can we look aroundBetter stay here.

Do they ever shell that battery Tasked one of the mechanics. I had been driving and I sat in the car and the driver took the papers in. When we were out on the gravel drive she said. A soldier came along after the last of the stragglers. Goodnight. It had been impossible to advance on the far side the year before because there was only one road leading down from the pass to the pontoon bridge and it was under machinegun and shell fire for nearly a mile. undid my tunic and tried to rip the tail of my shirt. They cant do that to everybody. and he came from Amalfi. I hurried up the driveway and inside the reception hall I asked for Miss Barkley.I stopped to ask if you were better. and tears came in my eyes from the reflex.

No Yes. That was all left for next year. You are a frozenfaced . the car looking disgraced and empty with the engine open and parts spread on the work bench. There were many marble busts on painted wooden pillars along the walls of the room they used for an office.Very.We were off the driveway. Get out of here. At the post on the top they took the stretcher out and put another in and we went on. You will be good to me. I said. Two men were lifting the hernia man to put him in.

 The lieutenant said I slipped the truss on purpose. He had been in the war in Libya and wore two woundstripes. sitting in my trousers and an undershirt in front of the open window. But they say a Saint Anthonys very useful. on purpose.Jesus Christ. I said.That night at the mess I sat next to the priest and he was disappointed and suddenly hurt that I had not gone to the Abruzzi. I saw he wore gloves. They were seventysevens and came with a whishing rush of air. thats different.5 mm.

 It did not have anything to do with me. I remembered. folded it without rising from the bed and slid it in his breeches pocket. The earth of the dugout was warm and dry and I let my shoulders back against the wall. however. I wondered who had done them and how much he got. Outside the sergeant adjutant knelt down beside me where I lay. The King was good but dull. not good by.I am sorry.Are you hit badly he asked. I tried to move sideways so that it did not fall on me.

 You do not really like it. I said. He is a priest; he will appreciate it.No. My orderly had cut paper into strips and tied the strips to a stick to make a brush that swished the flies away. said the lieutenant. No blood brother and roommate. Florence.No.Youre the American in the Italian army she asked. I was there and reading of it in the paper. Did you do any heroic actNo.

That road will be a dirty mess. We were supposed to wear steel helmets even in Gorizia but they were uncomfortable and too bloody theatrical in a town where the civilian inhabitants had not been evacuated. in order that I might understand perfectly. the basins and the stoppered bottles. Naples. in which you said things instead of playing cards. Tenente Gavuzzi asked. Inside there was a light. holding the cheese. how do you feel Where is that damn corkscrew You are so brave and quiet I forget you are suffering. I said.She was unclasping something from her neck.

Dont bring Caruso.I pressed her hand.Yes. the major said. which was very good. the water blue like the sky. Rocca said.We drove fast when we were over the bridge and soon we saw the dust of the other cars ahead down the road. There was one fine cemetery thoughthe one at Pisa. Put it on the floor. Passini was quiet now. waiting for Catherine Barkley to come down.

Dont bring Caruso. wont youWhat the hell. I said.We think. I said. and. He had written to his father that I was coming and they had made preparations. After I leave here Ill go see that English and hell get you an English medal. that there had been three others.I say its rotten.I left them working. It was that which shook my faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment