Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I gave them each a package of cigarettes. He went back inside.You will.

 Signor Tenente
 Signor Tenente. She wore what seemed to me to be a nurses uniform. The major said he had heard a report that I could drink. Then he was quiet. the captain said. I handed the canteen back to Passini. But youre very nice. You must have done something heroic either before or after. There were lighted candles on the table. Manera lit his lighter and passed it around.An outside nation cant make you be a soldier.Its better to wear him.

 He bandaged. Please.No. They were moderately clean.Passini shook his head. My orderly had finished pouring water and the bed felt cool and lovely and I was telling him where to scratch on the soles of my feet against the itching when one of the doctors brought in Rinaldi. Tenente.All right. Ill paint all this and Does that sting Good.He likes it.We kissed and she broke away suddenly. You are purer and sweeter.

 They told me you were on duty. he said. You get out and fall down by the road and get a bump on your head and Ill pick you up on our way back and take you to a hospital. Passini said.He walked across to the dressing station.Better not drink too much brandy then. I could pull backward along with my arms and elbows. I opened the capsule and spilled him out into my hand. There was nothing to write about. They would.Why didnt we see the post when we came down Passini asked. she said.

I took out my knife. It was cold in the car in the night as the road climbed. I said.Goodnight. Another burst and in the noise you could hear the smaller noise of the brick and dirt raining down. I said.Oughf. You would like the people and though it is cold it is clear and dry. selfinflicted wounds. That day I visited the posts in the mountains and was back in town late in the afternoon. and the world all unreal in the dark and so exciting that you must resume again unknowing and not caring in the night. so she loves Scotland better than England.

Hes an American. Rocca said. Remember carefully. Did you think I was Italian There were some Italians with one of our units. fat and prosperous and Vittorio Emmanuele. Rinaldi was lying on his bed. felt the brake come off and the clutch go in.I love you so and its been awful.Cant I stay here. I kissed both her shut eyes. Over on the right they had the Duke of Aosta. There was an English there.

 I said. all this in a moment. I was after him. It was quiet for a moment still. It would have been much simpler. He had not had it but he understood that I had really wanted to go to the Abruzzi but had not gone and we were still friends.I took out my knife. Gavuzzi has your legs. you see. It would have been much simpler. Alpini would. God.

We went over toward Rinaldi and Miss Ferguson. lieutenant! he shouted. You are really an Italian. Every week some one gets wounded by rock fragments. isnt itWhat gameDont be dull. maggiore (next to the little finger). When I got home it was too late and I did not see Miss Barkley until the next evening. Where did you meet her In the Cova Where did you go How did you feel Tell me everything at once. but with the difference between us. They returned it with his things. They did very well last summer.It was because we were scared.

 Ill clean this up a little. They poured me more wine and I told the story about the English private soldier who was placed under the shower bath. Bacchus barred. It would not rip and I bit the edge of the cloth to start it. There is only one difference between taking a girl who has always been good and a woman. isnt heYes. Put it on the floor. she said. Ha! Ha! Ha! The captain spread his hand open. Florence. It isnt me that makes fun of him. Its much cooler.

I sat in the reception hail of the villa.Hes dead I think. You will please come and make me a good impression on her. They were moderately clean. In Pittsburgh. Always in Rome. His shoulder was smashed and his head was hurt.Captain doctor (interested in something he was finding). Then I made out my report in my room. said Miss Ferguson. The division for which we worked were to attack at a place up the river and the major told me that I would see about the posts for during the attack. The King was good but dull.

 It ought to be good.Couldnt you take me no place elseIf it was closer to the front I could take you to a first medical post. Priest not happy. Manera said. then stopped and kissed her. and of which I had never heard. Outside the sergeant adjutant knelt down beside me where I lay. said Rinaldi.You speak English he asked.Oh. father. Goodnight.

 I said.So long. You rarely find any one any good this close to the front. the basins and the stoppered bottles.No.At the start of the winter came the permanent rain and with the rain came the cholera. But its a rotten game. the cool nights. He patted Gordini on the shoulder. I helped him down. I dont mind at all. Let everybody defend his home.

 Im leaving now for a show up above Plava.Probably. hotter and slower than ever: then the stragglers.Has there been any trouble getting parts I asked the sergeant mechanic. He bent over me. It was hard and slippery. I repeated it. My friend saw the priest from our mess going by in the street. and well see.Oh. I sat now in the chair and an orderly of some sort looked at me disapprovingly from behind a desk while I looked at the marble floor.You are ignorant.

 the car looking disgraced and empty with the engine open and parts spread on the work bench. It did not have anything to do with me. isnt heYes. and stopped at the main dressing station. Well all eat. Rinaldi came in while I was undressing. Goodnight.Didnt you carry anybody on your back Gordini says you carried several people on your back but the medical major at the first post declares it is impossible. sometimes now seeing his face and little long necked body and gray beard like a goats chin tuft; all these with the sudden interiors of houses that had lost a wall through shelling. I gave them each a package of cigarettes. He went back inside.You will.

No comments:

Post a Comment