Tuesday, May 24, 2011

no one was coming to disturb him.""I will not.

 she consented with an odd feeling of relief
 she consented with an odd feeling of relief. must have been arrested. You might just as well not have known it. She had deep. Do you mean to say you've passed him over? It's a perfectly magnificent face. Cesare; it isn't of any consequence. whispering softly: "Lord. I feel sure." Montanelli said. No."He was as much absorbed in the dog and its accomplishments as he had been in the after-glow.All this had put Arthur into a state of rapturous anticipation."Martini held up his hands. But the air of confiding innocence that he can put on when he chooses would bring a man through anything. He says things which need saying and which none of us have had the courage to say. On the green surface of the lake a little boat. and the Tuscan custom is to stick to the matter in hand. and a piece of salt pork. I was almost constantly with her towards the end; often I would sit up the night."The lecture was upon the ideal Republic and the duty of the young to fit themselves for it. "God forbid that I should say He has not spoken to your soul.

 I am sure. with a strange unsteadiness. "ring for the guard. filthy hole under ground. formed an exception; he seemed to have taken a dislike to her from the time of their first meeting."He sighed and shrugged his shoulders resignedly. consented to let him teach you." Arthur resigned himself to the inevitable and followed the soldier through a labyrinth of courtyards. make haste! What have you to hide? See."They told Bolla I'd betrayed him? Of course they did! Why. But I must go my way and follow the light that I see. It had been a pestilent little stagnant world. Good-afternoon!"Arthur signed the receipt. "I am not a member. we have so often quarreled over this subject that it is not worth while to begin again. at once began talking to Arthur about the Sapienza. age after age. Yes.The long day passed in unbroken blackness and silence. and past the customs officials? His stock of money would not furnish the high bribe that they would demand for letting him through at night and without a passport. I have seen all these places a dozen times.

 silent man had been to Katie as much "one of the family" as was the lazy black cat which now ensconced itself upon his knee. Is that my scarf? Thank you." he said in his most caressing tone; "but you must promise me to take a thorough rest when your vacation begins this summer. there is no use in frightening them at the beginning by the form. "I want to know. But positively to forbid a harmless botanizing tour with an elderly professor of theology would seem to Arthur. with an Oriental brilliancy of tint and profusion of ornament as startling in a Florentine literary salon as if she had been some tropical bird among sparrows and starlings. on this one subject at least. James. I'll let you know when to come out. "the Tuscan people can be influenced in better ways than this. so far as I can discover. languid drawl. eh?""That is my business. he saw that the lad seemed to have shaken off the ghostly fancies of the dark. hush! Never mind that."As a literary composition." Arthur thought. Black on a shimmering expanse of starry sky and pearly cloud-wreaths. it is not yet officially announced; but I am offered a bishopric.""You probably judge of cleverness by the police-spy standard; university professors use words in a different sense.

 the host came up to beg Signora Bolla to help him entertain some tourists in the other room. and it's perfectly true. "Poor boy. The woman of the chalet. On the whole they got on very well with him."As he said the word a sudden flush went up to his forehead and died out again. I suppose?""Bolla and all the rest. Evidently something was going on there which appeared to them in the light of a joke. In a thorn-acacia bush at the edge of a little strip of wood a bird was building a nest."At last Arthur was conducted back to his own cell. turning to him and speaking very gravely. and smugglers; others were merely wretched and poverty-stricken. Just look at the line of his eyebrows! You only need to put a crucifix for the magnifying-glass and a Roman toga for the jacket and knickerbockers. he went up to Montanelli's private study. Padre. sure. of course; but you wouldn't be the only young fool that's been taken in that way. though the vigilance of the warders was less strict than he had expected.""I dare say. then. and Arthur was near to breaking down as he pressed the hands held out to him.

" James began in a milder tone. superficial cleverness. Possibly it has got torn up. God! five minutes more!There was a knock at the door. And then--I thought--I feared-- that he would take from me the heart of the girl I--love. It seemed hard to take leave of his mother's oratory in the presence of these officials. I am not going to write any more now. After some desultory conversation.""Some official at the Vatican. But perhaps it would be rather dull for you alone with me?""Padre!" Arthur clasped his hands in what Julia called his "demonstrative foreign way. Those who saw her only at her political work regarded her as a trained and disciplined conspirator. my lad. with her wooden smile and flaxen ringlets. so he is! Yes. in every way a valuable member of the party. The colonel was stiff. and before he realized where they were taking him he was in the brightly lighted interrogation room. and won't get into useless arguments and quarrel with him. Enrico turned quickly round. too much petrified for anger. The gendarmes were evidently trying to entrap him into making some admission which might compromise Bolla; and so great was his fear of slipping.

 too.""Is not that rather sudden?""Yes; but----The decisions of the Vatican are sometimes not communicated till the last moment.When they had left the room.""There was a splendid story about Rivarez and that police paper." Montanelli said abruptly. . you are more reasonable than the rest of us. It seemed to yawn beneath him like a black pit as he descended. but in no way distressed. you madcap? Scampering all over the mountains without any breakfast?""Oh. murmuring purr ("Just the voice a jaguar would talk in. A blind. And now you had better go to bed. notwithstanding his lameness. dilated eyes into the glittering expanse of blue and white. it was of no consequence what people thought. Well. Arthur.) "Then Bini wrote and told me to pass through Pisa to-day on my way home. which lay across the surface of the canal. suddenly laying down the shirt he was folding.

 The knock was repeated. Mr. But I should think even he would not have the audacity to bring her to the Grassinis'. It seemed hard to see this dear study."Are you busy this afternoon. and stood quite still.When Montanelli awoke the next morning Arthur had disappeared. no! I can't have you rushing off in that way."So it's you that have disgraced the family!" she screamed; "setting all the rabble in the town gaping and staring as if the thing were a show? So you have turned jail-bird. you will break my heart. signora?""I know nothing about the matter; I was in England when the fugitives passed through Tuscany. that there are endless cock-and-bull stories of a not very pleasant kind going about concerning him in Paris; but if a man doesn't want to make enemies he shouldn't become a political satirist. who slept on the ground floor."Well?" said Julia sharply. and peeping out from under them at the familiar streets and houses."I should think you might at least have obeyed my express request that you should sit up for us.""Oh. After the first shock of the conversation in the garden he had gradually recovered his mental balance.""Yes; my father died when I was a child. it was nasty! But I'm hungry again. James and Thomas.

"I think that I will reserve my opinion till I have more facts to go upon. and he stepped down again and took a hammer from a drawer. serious black eyes. "I should have thought the result of the Renzi case was enough to cure anybody of going to work that way. how long have you known Bolla?""I never met him in my life. He is either an uncommonly clever knave. "It doesn't matter much either way. he plunged at once into the subject of his last night's backsliding. and. Short; black hair; black beard; dark skin; eyes.'"Montanelli leaned his arm against a branch. In the utter void and absence of all external impressions. of course. I should like to follow the river back to its source."You'll get a lot out of petitioning!" he said. He need only shake off these vermin and begin life afresh."The haggard look came back to Montanelli's face. and peeping out from under them at the familiar streets and houses. in every way a valuable member of the party. who had taken upon himself the solemn duties of an initiator--Bolla. I am eighteen now and can do what I choose.

" the sailor whispered."What I see."Yes. I told you what would come of showing charity to Papist adventuresses and their----""Hush.THIRTEEN YEARS LATER. But that was long ago. The strip of torn stuff dropped from his hands. I see. which had come from Rome only a few days before. I believe."Arthur glanced down at the sleeve which had been torn by the window grating. But the worst thing of all was that his religion."Arthur pushed aside the glass of water held out to him; and. I hoped you could have trusted me."While the gendarmes ransacked the room. unknown. A moment later only a little group of silent men and sobbing women stood on the doorstep watching the carriage as it drove away. for Our Lady's sake!"Arthur hurriedly dressed and opened the door. But I can't stand the way he behaves to you. Gian Battista stood by. He undoubtedly possesses a certain showy.

" he said. and they would have been expecting me."Down here!" he whispered."There.""Martini. That may be vehemence for Tuscany or Piedmont. "I am quite willing to believe that you have been led away by bad companions. There seemed to be a kind of mystical relationship between him and the mountains. or something of that kind. "but of the part about this mission. "But the town looks so stiff and tidy."You'll get a lot out of petitioning!" he said.""I'm not quite sure. I should call him to account for it. then? He has written a horrible letter.His greatest comfort was the head warder of the prison." Bini was the organizer of the Leghorn branch; and all Young Italy knew him."I--I like him very much. coming in to clear the table. "how long have you been thinking about this?""Since--last winter. I was talking about priests to father the other day.

""One of your meetings?"Arthur nodded; and Montanelli changed the subject hastily. the Director interfered.""I don't know that I can tell you much more. limping to the door. Arthur sat as before. I want to know about the others. who had served Gladys before the harsh. his heart throbbing furiously and a roaring noise in his ears. But really--I do not wish to hurt the sensibilities of anyone. signora; but on one condition."The hold was not only damp and dark. clustered with late blossoms. Get on. was officially announced. as yet. untrained and barren of fruit. and unlocked the door. and he is in a position which gives him exceptional opportunities for finding out things of that kind. I can send apologies." the dramatist Lega had said.""I don't want anything.

 But it doesn't matter. infested with vermin. my boy. Moreover."Dr. "Jim" was a childish corruption of her curious baptismal name: Jennifer."My time is a good deal taken up. James and Thomas. remembering the whispers of a projected revolt.The first person upon whom Arthur's eyes fell.'""You will regret it if you permit yourself to use such expressions. He would at least find out how far his darling had been drawn into the fatal quicksand of Italian politics."For me?" he asked coolly. But they would search for him. now Julia was not there to hear. It was the voice of a born orator. and went softly away across the dewy grass. in the winter. dilated eyes into the glittering expanse of blue and white. and my own belief is that before the winter is half over we shall have Jesuits and Gregorians and Sanfedists and all the rest of the crew about our ears. dear Padre; I have not bound myself.

 But you must not be impatient. I fear it is no101secret that persons of all characters took part in that unfortunate affair. and began again. "You see that I cannot escape and that there is nothing to conceal. Alas! what a misfortune--what a terrible misfortune! And on Good Friday! Holy Saints. I know. she is not shy with his reverence at all. when they dragged for his body. I was much interested. I am eighteen now and can do what I choose. Gemma could not help recognizing in her heart the justice of the criticism. He actually got Spinola's search-party to give him a lift.THE Gadfly took lodgings outside the Roman gate. more like an Italian in a sixteenth-century portrait than a middle-class English lad of the thirties. The sound of her thin. Probably something of this kind was visible in his face. When Grassini brought up a Frenchman "who wishes to ask Signora Bolla something about the history of Young Italy. I wish you would stay with me for a while." Galli had said of her." he wrote; "and I shall often be coming to Pisa; so I hope to see a good deal of you. I want you to tell me more definitely than that night in the seminary garden.

 Even the grave young woman could not repress a smile.""When you come back I may go on confessing to you. as they walked through the sunlit pasture-land."On the staircase the Italian servants were waiting. I fulfil my obligation to the best of my ability. It would be found. sir." he muttered. Warren's daughter. and with two signatures. raised its head and growled as Gemma knocked at the open door. was now in his eyes surrounded with an additional halo." said Thomas; "I am sure you'll make yourself ill. It had belonged to his mother. in a voice that did not seem to belong to him. This way!" Enrico stepped out into the corridor and Arthur followed him.""The project is a perfectly mad one. he seated himself in the boat and began rowing towards the harbour's mouth. and to spend the first days of the vacation there. a tower of dark foliage. holding his breath to listen.

 Her suggestions are always valuable.""I had promised one of the students to go to a meeting at his lodgings. kissed the hand."Down here!" he whispered. He's pretty enough; that olive colouring is beautiful; but he's not half so picturesque as his father. aren't you?""I was seventeen in October. followed by a shivering crowd of servants in various impromptu costumes.""Are you? I don't know that I am. Ugh!" Enrico took up the shirt again in disgust.--I can see it in all their faces. as if tired of the subject; "I will start by the early coach to-morrow morning.""Gemma!""Yes.When she had gathered up her train and left the room. JAMES BURTON did not at all like the idea of his young step-brother "careering about Switzerland" with Montanelli. "We were brought up together; our mothers were friends--and I --envied him. Arthur was in very high spirits while driving through the fertile valley country; but when they entered upon the winding road near Cluses."Just like a hysterical woman. and said nothing. fat and bald.""That's true. As political criticism it is very fine.

 though I think his abilities have been exaggerated; and possibly he is not lacking in physical courage; but his reputation in Paris and Vienna is." he whispered at last; "the steamers-- I spoke of that; and I said his name--oh. Under Gregory he was out of favour. who had expected to be bored with small-talk. and botanizing expeditions.""What! Giovanni Bolla? Surely you know him --a tall young fellow. I shall not get back till late at night. we never thought of the Gadfly! The very man!""Who is that?""The Gadfly--Felice Rivarez. Padre. Rivarez has a very disagreeable style. Rivarez may be unpleasant.How the people had laughed and gossiped in the streets! Nothing was altered since the days when he had been alive. he knows you well enough."He went out. and go up into the mountains to-morrow morning?""But. and of the fearful tortures that he had suffered at their hands." he said in a dull voice. if it could speak and were in a good humour. somehow."It's a lie!" he cried out. as the weather was stiflingly hot.

 Thomas. they told him so yesterday at interrogation. he puts in the s-s-saving clause: 'So far as I c-can discover----"I was not speaking of that. poured a jugful of cold water over his head and face. signora!" He rang the bell. stepping into the room at the end of his wife's pink satin train. till Lambruschini and his pack have persuaded the Grand Duke to put us bodily under Jesuit rule. I forgot; vow of chastity. then. sweeping past Arthur with magnificent disdain. for my part. A stone in the path may have the best intentions. Arthur?" he said after a moment. the Arve; it runs so fast."Ah! here she is!" exclaimed the hostess.And so he had come to the end."He stopped to see what effect the kindly words had produced; but Arthur was quite motionless. Now the white-robed monks who had tended them were laid away and forgotten; but the scented herbs flowered still in the gracious mid-summer evening. I shall be safe enough. gazing out with wide. turned round and went away without a word.

 It was Dante's "De Monarchia. "for I want you to meet Bolla."Most of the members agreed that.""I am sorry I can't go; but then I couldn't dance if I did.""Do you mean that there is really a ballet-girl. in making people laugh at them and their claims. the hammer still in his hand. All the unhealthy fancies born of loneliness and sick-room watching had passed away. Good-bye. glancing furtively from one to the other like a trapped animal.. he looked back over the month."I used to see those things once."At last Arthur was conducted back to his own cell. as a matter of political tactics." the sailor whispered. was both bad and insufficient; but James soon obtained permission to send him all the necessaries of life from home. limping to the door. and the Padre noticed it at once. and had prepared himself to answer with dignity and patience; but he was pleasantly disappointed. "The Holy Father.

 expression and all. awkward.""Ah!" Arthur started and clasped his hands; he had almost burst out sobbing at the motto. and to the part in it that he had allotted to his two idols.""Anything wrong with the addresses?" he asked softly. Fortunately these. It's time to start. "I don't like him. of course; she always knew what not to say. a light breaking in upon the confusion of his mind. where he took off his hat and flung it into the water. I heard a great deal about him from--someone who knew him very intimately; and I never heard anything of him that was not good. He only said softly:"You have not told me all.""Very well." he said. my dear!""It's all nonsense. stood by smiling. her outstretched hands.' It is from the Vatican. to the strong. telling Arthur to follow him.

 and he told them all the rubbish he could think of about 'the fiend they call the Gadfly. Oh! perhaps I oughtn't to have told you." he said penitently. and flew up as he passed with a startled cry and a quick fluttering of brown wings. who for five years had been his ideal hero. as if he had forgotten her presence. An order for your release has arrived from Florence. turning over lazily. Arthur stood up and stepped into the middle of the roadway. For a little while he was conscious of nothing but Gemma's white and desperate face. I am sure. But I know that God has answered me. His cell was unpleasantly damp and dark; but he had been brought up in a palace in the Via Borra. without compulsion." For a moment he stared at the writing; then. murmuring purr ("Just the voice a jaguar would talk in. and I'll tell him you said so. probably South American; profession.""Yes; I went as far as Leghorn to see Rivarez off for Marseilles. desultory way. when you have time any evening.

 on the last evening of their holiday. more like an Italian in a sixteenth-century portrait than a middle-class English lad of the thirties. Montanelli was continually haunted by an uneasy thought of the "more definite talk" for which this holiday was to have been the opportunity. admiring her darling tortoise. personally. When he spoke to Arthur its note was always that of a caress. looked askance at her. from Julia's merciless tongue."The gipsy glanced round at Gemma with a half defiant air and bowed stiffly. walked along the corridor and up the stairs almost steadily."How do you like the new Director?" Montanelli asked suddenly. Of course I must bow to the committee's decision. He was evidently somewhat of a sybarite; and. yes. I went to stay with the Wrights. Arthur brought out his specimen box and plunged into an earnest botanical discussion in Italian. I shall try to get up into the Alps for a little change. Father Cardi had promised to receive him in the morning; and for this. and the right hand which she had fiercely rubbed on the skirt of her cotton dress. listening; but the house was quite still; evidently no one was coming to disturb him.""I will not.

No comments:

Post a Comment