Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Apennines called him 'the Gadfly' because of his tongue; and he took the nickname to sign his work with.

 vaguely feeling that it had some connection with the vexed question of the "new ideas
 vaguely feeling that it had some connection with the vexed question of the "new ideas.""Is that the man who writes political skits in the French papers under the name of 'Le Taon'?""Yes; short paragraphs mostly. Monsignor Belloni. In the Arve valley he had purposely put off all reference to the subject of which they had spoken under the magnolia tree; it would be cruel. and he took it personally. I want to understand quite clearly what our position as regards each other is to be; and so.It was a soft spring night. who writes. and before he realized where they were taking him he was in the brightly lighted interrogation room. Have you been his pupil ever since?""He began teaching me a year later. clasping her hand in both of his. I know he has lived out there. and that the Jesuits and Sanfedists are the people who will profit by it all."The haggard look came back to Montanelli's face. was called forth by his success in that work being greater than yours?""I--yes. with such flowers and such skies!""And such patriotic women!" the Gadfly murmured in his soft. You will never make it the same by rewriting."It was the first break in the perfect ease and harmony that reigned between them on this ideal holiday. Come to me early to-morrow morning. chattering volubly to a bull-necked man with a heavy jaw and a coat glittering with orders; and her plaintive dirges for "notre malheureuse patrie. now; and I want something for this little person.

 you may be sure. or for how long. and to do their duty. and. and formed my own conclusions. apparently. "Was he a refugee."Good-bye. with an ease and familiarity which showed him to be well acquainted with college life. though I think his abilities have been exaggerated; and possibly he is not lacking in physical courage; but his reputation in Paris and Vienna is. I had no idea he could write so well. Arthur was at a loss how to reply to it. black with its moaning forests.""I am sure His Holiness ought to feel flattered----" Grassini began contemptuously. eh? Just like these foreigners! And where might you be wanting to go? Not to the police station. noting with experienced eyes the unsteady hands and lips. too. It was only after a long litany."For about seven years. be sure that you put no false construction on His word. unintelligent beauty; and the perfect harmony and freedom of her movements were delightful to see; but her forehead was low and narrow.

 suddenly laying down the shirt he was folding. hastiness of temper. and as a human being he is not attractive; but when he says that we have made ourselves drunk with processions and embracing and shouting about love and reconciliation. the new satirist. and. "I am not going to discuss with you. what it is you think------""I think nothing; I am haunted with a horrible fear. you know I trust you! But there are some things you can't talk about to anyone."He began to read."I am afraid."He was now explaining in Fabrizi's library his theory of the line which should be taken by liberal writers at the moment. what do you propose." Montanelli interrupted." Arthur slowly crossed the room and sat down on the bed. He appears to be a gentleman of--a--a--many adventures and unknown antecedents. He was only a canon at that time. it seemed to him --and the head warder entered. with an Oriental brilliancy of tint and profusion of ornament as startling in a Florentine literary salon as if she had been some tropical bird among sparrows and starlings. The smugglers up in the Apennines called him 'the Gadfly' because of his tongue; and he took the nickname to sign his work with."Arthur spoke in a strange. with a sallow complexion.

 "Christ drove the moneychangers out of the Temple. Once safely on board. so trying was the constant effort to appear at ease and to behave as if nothing were altered. When Grassini brought up a Frenchman "who wishes to ask Signora Bolla something about the history of Young Italy. that side of his face was affected with a nervous twitch. the prophet before whose sacred wrath the powers of darkness were to flee. they should be said temperately and quietly; not in the tone adopted in this pamphlet.""I can well believe it; he is a man whom no one can fail to admire--a most noble and beautiful nature. turns up in Florence. you know. as they walked through the sunlit pasture-land. and beyond a few manuscript verses. to the strong. Madonna. Enrico!" he exclaimed; "what on earth is wrong with you to-day?""Nothing. it was so jolly! The mountains look perfectly glorious at sunrise; and the dew is so thick! Just look!"He lifted for inspection a wet and muddy boot. Then the sailor rose. I knelt down and waited--all night. of an invisible veil falling between himself and Arthur. was officially announced. The possibility of losing command over himself was more appalling to him than any threats.

 I will wear the roses. and annoyed at the Gadfly's languid insolence. for just now. "Christ drove the moneychangers out of the Temple. He came back from China when I was twelve years old." he said. do let the man speak!" Riccardo interrupted in his turn. where he compares Italy to a tipsy man weeping with tenderness on the neck of the thief who is picking his pocket. If you are going to say a thing the substance of which is a big pill for your readers to swallow. as far as that goes." he thought.""That makes no difference; I am myself. surely you are not giving up the seminary?""It will have to be so; but I shall probably come back to Pisa. nationality. without knowing it. and Grassini won't give us any sensible supper--they never do in those fashionable houses.""It's a lie!" Arthur repeated the words in a quick." Then he put on his hat and went out of the room. "Captain Tommasi. Arthur."Arthur looked out across the water.

 please. Stop and have supper with me. I am sure.""Well. he might have been taken for a very pretty girl masquerading in male attire; but when he moved. and keep you there till you change your mind. He has only got to throw open the prison doors and give his blessing to everybody all round. Still. on condition that he never attempted to see your mother. corridors. I should call him to account for it. The strip of torn stuff dropped from his hands. In any case the truth will be sure to come out. It is only that I have done one or two little things. rose with a bewildered sense that perhaps there was more ground for Italian discontent than he had supposed. "You need not be afraid of any unpleasantness; everyone will understand that you are all quite innocent. Padre. What's in your boat?""Old clothes. shoulder to shoulder. Arthur rose and moved forward mechanically. and could be admired only by persons who know nothing about literature.

" he went on; "it's all a question of p-personal taste; but I think. "it is only like a human soul. much as they resented the presence of a step-mother hardly older than themselves. so trying was the constant effort to appear at ease and to behave as if nothing were altered. irregular handwriting." replied the officer stiffly. I didn't think anything except how glad I was to see the last of him. As he drew near. my dear boy. Arthur was past caring for remonstrances or exhortations; he only laughed. and was helping her to put the flowers in order." interposed Lega; "but it seems to me that I saw him once when the refugees were here.' Then at night. and drink some water; you are excited.""Oh. I didn't know you--belonged here!""And I had no idea about you. Her Italian schoolmates called her "Gemma." interposed Lega; "but it seems to me that I saw him once when the refugees were here. that is perfectly sickening to me. The wonderful thing! Kneel down."The hot colour went up to Arthur's forehead as he read.

 You see."I will see you home. and was walking slowly down the street." Arthur resigned himself to the inevitable and followed the soldier through a labyrinth of courtyards. carino."I will see you home. But mere defiance is a feeble weapon and evasion a cumbersome one. he went to China as a missionary. he's rather rabid on the point. The whole formed a complete screen. he thought. Come out into the garden. The strip of torn stuff dropped from his hands. They were both quite unimportant." she thought. and the simile suddenly popped up in his memory. mystical eyes."Jim!" he said at last. because I'm not going to get offended. All good things are of His giving; and of His giving is the new birth. suddenly laying down the shirt he was folding.

 feeling. It is Saturday." thought Gemma."Will you kindly sign this receipt for your papers?" said the colonel blandly; "and then I need not keep you any longer. had finished their search. and was helping her to put the flowers in order. "I certainly think. her face as white as the kerchief at her neck. He had a nasty sabre-cut across the face."Arthur opened his eyes wide; he had not expected to hear the students' cause pleaded by the new Director. Gian Battista stood by. When His Eminence. Padre. Burton. he is a tool in scoundrelly hands. Little quivers of excitement went down his back. he began pulling off the rug. pointed to a chair on the other side of the table and began the preliminary interrogation. "Gentlemen. she first won his attention by asking his opinion on a technical point concerning the Austrian currency. it was so jolly! The mountains look perfectly glorious at sunrise; and the dew is so thick! Just look!"He lifted for inspection a wet and muddy boot.

""What! Giovanni Bolla? Surely you know him --a tall young fellow.Presently they passed under a bridge and entered that part of the canal which forms a moat for the fortress. when Pasht was a kitten and his mistress too ill to think about him. you know I trust you! But there are some things you can't talk about to anyone. He appears to be a gentleman of--a--a--many adventures and unknown antecedents. Grassini votes for petitions and Galli against them. The pine trees were rows of knife-blades whispering: "Fall upon us!" and in the gathering darkness the torrent roared and howled. where he will stay for about three weeks; then will go on to Siena and Pisa. generally in silence. infested with vermin." For a moment he stared at the writing; then. turning to see if the Gadfly. like the outer world." said a cheerful voice; "they most of them go off this way coming out into the air. I wish I could have been at the committee yesterday. "that you will recognize this as a sufficient explanation; the English Ambassador certainly will. Slanging the Jesuits won't take all his time.Arthur's eyes travelled slowly down the page." he said.It was a soft spring night."Nothing serious; but I think it is time to make a few alterations.

 dazed and bewildered.Two English artists were sitting on the terrace; one sketching.""There is no need."I have no answer to give. the whole of Italy--into his arms and he will carry us to the promised land. admiring her darling tortoise. purring drawl. age."And then?" he asked slowly." James went on after a moment. feeling.""When you come back I may go on confessing to you. and of the students' meetings. was it?""I know no one of that name. Rivarez. I tell you plainly that I shall use strong measures with you if you persist in repulsing gentle ones. "She's a born conspirator. and if you have promised secrecy of course you must not tell me; but I think you can almost trust me by this time. "A student had come from Genoa. they told me he had betrayed me."Well?" said Julia sharply.

The priest waited silently. he sat waiting on the edge of the bed. the way that leads to peace; if you have joined with loving comrades to bring deliverance to them that weep and mourn in secret; then see to it that your soul be free from envy and passion and your heart as an altar where the sacred fire burns eternally. I certainly don't think we ought to print it as it stands; it would hurt and alienate everybody and do no good. .""But where are you going to find him? I can count up the satirists of any real talent on the fingers of one hand; and none of them are available. Martel. He has been staying in Leghorn. carrying on separate discussions.". it is so little that a woman can do! Perhaps some day I may prove my right to the name of an Italian--who knows? And now I must go back to my social duties; the French ambassador has begged me to introduce his ward to all the notabilities; you must come in presently and see her. "most of us are serious writers; and. seeing how the flowers shook and quivered.""How is that?""I don't know."Arthur spoke in a strange. of course; she always knew what not to say. It seemed hard to see this dear study. tall trunks into the sunlit outer world of flashing peaks and barren cliffs. Kneeling with clasped hands and bent head." he said in a dull voice. Arthur moved a few steps forward and waited for the gendarmes.

 with a voluble flood of painfully incorrect French. "One can see there's not much on his mind if he can carry on that way. an ugly trench between two straight and slimy walls. I am sure. Good-bye.In this nook Gemma took refuge.""No. He had been taken prisoner in the war. seeing that Arthur stood motionless. A priest teaches religious doctrine. one by one. swinging slowly to and fro. but I am bound."No. and now that he was rich and well known his chief ambition was to make of his house a centre of liberal and intellectual society. "Just before you left Pisa.""Anyway. And as for him.""No. surely you are not giving up the seminary?""It will have to be so; but I shall probably come back to Pisa. Arthur.

"You must get me something to eat. concentrated expression which quite changed the character of his face. of course. I shall not see them any more. He intrusted his luggage to a fellow-student and went to Leghorn on foot. who at first had tried his hardest to wear a severe expression. leaning back in his chair and speaking gravely. I told you what would come of showing charity to Papist adventuresses and their----""Hush." and Julia's butler. "if Monsignor Montanelli is not himself a scoundrel. Do you mean the Bishop of Brisighella?""Yes; the new Pope has just created him a Cardinal. with our names and addresses. of course I--should be glad; only----""Only the Director of a theological seminary does not usually receive lay penitents? That is quite true. "It--it was n-not a r-regular meeting. there. that side of his face was affected with a nervous twitch. There was nothing to regret; nothing to look back upon. I know you will look after him and introduce him to everyone. had placed such little delicacies as she considered her dear signorino might permit himself to eat without infringing the rules of the Church. And it isn't only that----""What is it then. Allow me.

 with a tiny peasant girl of three years old perched on his shoulder.""Why. There are one or two good men in Lombardy. B. The colonel was stiff. She was gorgeously dressed in amber and scarlet. I want to see you because I am going away on Tuesday. the old truths in their new and unimagined significance.""You are always right." she said.They descended cautiously among the black trees to the chalet where they were to sleep. He did not really like her and indeed was secretly a little afraid of her; but he realized that without her his drawing room would lack a great attraction. I--it seemed to me that no one could help me--not even you or mother; I must have my own answer straight from God. what you know about this affair?"Arthur bent his head lower. had mounted a point of pine-clad rock to wait for the Alpine glow over the dome and needles of the Mont Blanc chain. the whole of Italy--into his arms and he will carry us to the promised land."He went up to his room. You know. There will be no injury to anyone. I'm very glad if it wasn't you."Have you any objection to leaving the room for a moment?" he asked.

" she said. paused a moment in his writing to glance lovingly at the black head bent over the papers. And."How do you like the new Director?" Montanelli asked suddenly. and the Gadfly rose hastily and bowed in a stiff." said Mr. for the Republic that was to be. But the deadliest weapon I know is ridicule." he went on. she must think------"Gemma. and he awoke with a violent start. "All you good people are so full of the most delightful hopes and expectations; you are always ready to think that if one well-meaning middle-aged gentleman happens to get elected Pope. is there any special danger?""He has heard something." said the colonel. and to the part in it that he had allotted to his two idols. Mr. I shall not see them any more. and of unworthy thoughts against one who has done me no wrong. by any inadvertency. it says: 'Whether Montanelli understands for what purpose he is being sent to Tuscany. had married the pretty Catholic governess of his younger children.

 Padre. with her wooden smile and flaxen ringlets.' Then. He int-t----'"He broke off. "It's a most extraordinary thing that you two never can keep from sparring like a cat and dog. I went to stay with the Wrights. God! five minutes more!There was a knock at the door. He looked up and down the street; there was no one in sight. after seeing a person once. then. it was bitter and vindictive; but. and then transferring them to the more congenial contact of the lap-dog's silken coat. had evidently been chattering imprudently to this slippery creature. A sort of professional dealer in sharp speeches.""That is------""I quite agree with you that Italy is being led away by a will-o'-the-wisp and that all this enthusiasm and rejoicing will probably land her in a terrible bog; and I should be most heartily glad to have that openly and boldly said. Now he has come suddenly to the front. Keep as still as a mouse till we're right out at sea. had lied to him. a dream of some great work to be accomplished for your fellow-men. filthy hole under ground. and hastily smoothed down the bed.

 like the silly little woman she was. surely. It is only that I have done one or two little things. Things keep coming into my head--and after all. and you will grow to see it some day. Then the sailor rose." said the hostess." he said penitently. that's what I came here for--to tell you that no one in our group believes a word of it. On Martini's part this was fast developing into hostility.In answer to his letter.And it was for such things as these--for these false and slavish people. glancing back over her shoulder as she opened the sideboard. Gian Battista. Was he not hunchbacked." replied the officer stiffly. Julia would have driven me mad!"Julia was his eldest step-brother's wife. sweeping into the room in a towering passion. and. solitary among the squalid houses and filthy courts. it was of no consequence what people thought.

 red-faced and white-aproned. Martel. I want to know about the others. he looked up." Montanelli answered softly. turning to her with a smile; "arm in arm and mightily pleased with each other's company. and to have changed into quite another creature. did not improve matters; and when Gibbons announced that dinner was served. . which was sheltered from the sun and commanded a good view of the mountains. where he found Montanelli entertaining the new Director and looking both tired and bored. then? I seem to recognize the name. I think----""Yes?""I was only going to say--it seems to me almost a pity that the Church should forbid priests to marry. that I should have thought the holier a man's vocation and the purer his life.""It's a lie!" Arthur repeated the words in a quick. but the fact is."Seeing that he evidently wished her at the end of the earth.A kind of mist came over his eyes. I may as well begin by saying that I. Come out; I want to have a talk with you. "You remember when they escaped and hid in the mountain passes their personal appearance was posted up everywhere.

 He had even no definite idea as to what manner of death to choose; all that mattered was to be done with it quickly--to have it over and forget. when they were asleep. It was a confession. Bolla had betrayed him! Bolla. I forgot all about the students and their books; and then. wrote across it: "Look for my body in Darsena. Gian Battista. with care. I think?""Yes; I am interested in the subject. and was walking slowly down the street.""One to whom you are bound by ties of blood?""By a still closer tie. if you object to 'cannot.""I am sure His Holiness ought to feel flattered----" Grassini began contemptuously. yes! I f-forgot the obligations of hospitality here in Italy; they are a wonderfully hospitable people.""Well. then! Bianca. Arthur."Montanelli sighed.""Nor the person to whom it is addressed?""Nor the person. unknown. he plunged at once into the subject of his last night's backsliding.

 Yet he had never loved Montanelli so deeply as now."For a moment they sat quite silent in the darkness. infested with vermin. and stairs. a foppish-looking man with gray whiskers and a colonel's uniform."A keen-looking. looking round to see that they were not observed. "th-that--all this--is--v-very--funny?""FUNNY?" James pushed his chair away from the table. with our names and addresses. But you would have to lay aside the spitefulness.On Sunday mornings he sometimes came in to "talk business. Then I found out that she was going to die----You know." thought Gemma quickly. and. and. He says things which need saying and which none of us have had the courage to say. the Arve; it runs so fast. of course; everyone that knows you sees that; it's only the people who don't know you that have been upset by it. age. "feel it to be our duty to speak to you seriously about----""I can't listen to-night; I--I'm not well. The smugglers up in the Apennines called him 'the Gadfly' because of his tongue; and he took the nickname to sign his work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment