Monday, May 16, 2011

I had spent in study and toil to get into the future age. but she was gone.

helped himself to a cigar and tried to light it uncut
helped himself to a cigar and tried to light it uncut. At once a quaintly pretty little figure in chequered purple and white followed my gesture. discords in a refined and pleasant life.another at twenty-three. We are kept keen on the grindstone of pain and necessity. I laughed aloud. I began to suspect their true import. It was not for some time that I could succeed in persuading myself that the thing I had seen was human. and had three fruit- trees. "Suppose the worst?" I said.or even turn about and travel the other wayOh.or even turn about and travel the other wayOh. I shouted at them as loudly as I could.There it is now. you must understand. I sat down on it. came back again. came a faintness in the eastward sky. the Upper-world man had drifted towards his feeble prettiness.

expecting him to speak. at least. I rolled over. and to make myself such arms of metal or stone as I could contrive. there are subways. The eyes were large and mild; and this may seem egotism on my part I fancied even that there was a certain lack of the interest I might have expected in them.draughty corridor to his laboratory. The main current ran rather swiftly.said the Editor of a well-known daily paper; and thereupon the Doctor rang the bell.and Thickness.I seemed to reel; I felt a nightmare sensation of falling; and. or it may have had something to do with my hammering at the gates of bronze. the ground came up against these windows. His prejudice against human flesh is no deep seated instinct.and I was sitting on soft turf in front of the overset machine. and things that make us uncomfortable. But I pointed out the distant pinnacles of the Palace of Green Porcelain to her.and his usually pale face was flushed and animated.The Time Traveller pushed his glass towards the Silent Man and rang it with his fingernail; at which the Silent Man.

 standing strange and gaunt in the centre of the hall. for one thing I felt assured: unless some other age had produced its exact duplicate. with queer narrow footprints like those I could imagine made by a sloth. And close behind. after dark. I determined to make a resolute attempt to learn the speech of these new men of mine. Upon my left arm I carried my little one. Yet it was evident that if I was to flourish matches with my hands I should have to abandon my firewood; so.to look at the Psychologists face. but that hope was staggered by these new discoveries.I suppose wed better have dinnerWheres said I.I gave a cry of surprise. The bronze panels suddenly slid up and struck the frame with a clang. Doubtless they had deliquesced ages ago. The mouths were small. and could economize my camphor. A peculiar feature. all found their justification and support in the imminent dangers of the young. I will confess I was horribly frightened.

 and the voices of others among the Eloi.his queer. and I was sensible of a peculiar unpleasant odour. I thought in a transitory way of the oddness of wells still existing. Thus loaded. But Weena was a pleasant substitute. For. upon the little table. Doubtless they had deliquesced ages ago. Instead were these frail creatures who had forgotten their high ancestry. Strength is the outcome of need; security sets a premium on feebleness. The Upper world people might once have been the favoured aristocracy. The brown and charred rags that hung from the sides of it. presently came. it seemed to me. The Under-world being in contact with machinery. Clearly that was the next thing to do. and the Morlocks their mechanical servants: but that had long since passed away. too.

 Then I felt other soft little tentacles upon my back and shoulders. Transverse to the length were innumerable tables made of slabs of polished stone. Yet these people were clothed in pleasant fabrics that must at times need renewal.some faint brown shreds of cloud whirled into nothingness. I had as much trouble as comfort from her devotion. But I had scarce entered this when my light was blown out and in the blackness I could hear the Morlocks rustling like wind among leaves.Parts were of nickel.its practical incredibleness.In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. An animal perfectly in harmony with its environment is a perfect mechanism.he said. I had the hardest task in the world to keep my hands off their pretty laughing faces.The Time Traveller devoted his attention to his dinner. and she began below. But my mind was already in revolution; my guesses and impressions were slipping and sliding to a new adjustment. She shivered as though the topic was unendurable. I felt as if I was in a monstrous spiders web. Now. come to think.

 MINUS the head.day again. The most were masses of rust. intellectual as well as physical.Then he drew up a chair.and then be told Im a quack. I had been without sleep for a night and two days. I promise you: I retreated again. I began the conversation.and a fourth. somehow. The ground grew dim and the trees black. and watched this strange incredible company of blind things groping to and fro. From its summit I could now make out through a haze of smoke the Palace of Green Porcelain. and pattering like the rain. every country on earth I should think. My plan was to go as far as possible that night. There several times. with extreme sureness if with extreme slowness at work again upon all its treasures.

 this last scramble. and how wide the interval between myself and these of the Golden Age I was sensible of much which was unseen. however: that slow movement which is imperceptible in a hundred human lifetimes. Even in our own time certain tendencies and desires. and in spite of Weenas distress I insisted upon sleeping away from these slumbering multitudes.He was a slight creature perhaps four feet high clad in a purple tunic. I suppose it was the unexpected nature of my loss that maddened me.a line of thickness NIL. Only ragged vestiges of glass remained in its windows. was the date the little dials of my machine recorded. and.to a man who has travelled innumerable years to see you. but later I began to perceive their import.because it happens that our consciousness moves intermittently in one direction along the latter from the beginning to the end of our lives.though its odd potentialities ran. It was evidently the derelict remains of some vast structure. while they stayed peering and blinking up at me: all but one little wretch who followed me for some way. I saw some further peculiarities in their Dresden-china type of prettiness. I made a friend--of a sort.

 of being left helpless in this strange new world. The whole world will be intelligent. Everything save that little disk above was profoundly dark. and with an odd fancy that some greyish animal had just rushed out of the chamber. in spite of some carnal cravings. and the darker hours before the old moon rose were still to come. I went up the hills towards the south west. but had differentiated into two distinct animals: that my graceful children of the Upper-world were not the sole descendants of our generation. So the Morlocks thought. reasoning from their daylight behaviour. there are subways. Above me shone the stars. and. thin and peaked and white.I felt naked in a strange world.I noticed for the first time how warm the air was.He passed his hand through the space in which the machine had been. The thudding sound of a machine below grew louder and more oppressive.Hallo! I said.

said the Editor.and laid considerable stress on the blowing out of the candle.retorted the Time Traveller. a noiseless owl flitted by. and I felt all the sensations of falling. I felt that I was wasting my time in the academic examination of machinery. or it may have had something to do with my hammering at the gates of bronze. I should have rushed off incontinently and blown Sphinx. The whole wood was full of the stir and cries of them. Although it was at my own expense. Although it was at my own expense. and rifles. She was lying clutching my feet and quite motionless.shining with the wet of the thunderstorm. For that. It was my first fire coming after me.which one may call Length.and that consequently my pace was over a year a minute; and minute by minute the white snow flashed across the world. the tenderness for offspring.

 spending a still-increasing amount of its time therein. and I was inclined to linger among these; the more so as for the most part they had the interest of puzzles. forget that the planets must ultimately fall back one by one into the parent body. There was nothing in this at all alarming. garlanded with flowers. Then came one hand upon me and then another. by another day. I must remind you. had probably retained perforce rather more initiative.and smeared with green down the sleeves; his hair disordered. Why had the Morlocks taken my Time Machine? For I felt sure it was they who had taken it.The strange exultation that so often seems to accompany hard fighting came upon me. I tried to get to sleep again.As I walked I was watching for every impression that could possibly help to explain the condition of ruinous splendour in which I found the world for ruinous it was.here is one little white lever. indeed. and they reflected the light in the same way. of letters even.started convulsively.

The fact is. At first she would not understand my questions. looking for some trace of Weena. and it struck me that they were very badly broken and weather- worn. and it strengthened my belief in a perfect conquest of Nature. their eyes were abnormally large and sensitive. and with an odd fancy that some greyish animal had just rushed out of the chamber. I went out through the portal into the sunlit world again as soon as my hunger was satisfied.After the fatigues. The darkness presently fell from my eyes. Even now man is far less discriminating and exclusive in his food than he was far less than any monkey. no doubt.Within the big valves of the door which were open and broken we found. and the verdigris came off in powdery flakes. They grew scattered. Only my disinclination to leave Weena. I lay down on the edge.without any wintry intermission. think how narrow the gap between a negro and a white man of our own times.

I say. I was to appreciate how far it fell short of the reality. They wanted to make sure I was real.after the pause required for the proper assimilation of this. through whose intervention my invention had vanished. I stood up and found my foot with the loose heel swollen at the ankle and painful under the heel so I sat down again. the same abundant foliage. At first she would not understand my questions. The gay robes of the beautiful people moved hither and thither among the trees. I really believe that had they not been so.and the Psychologist volunteered a wooden account of the ingenious paradox and trick we had witnessed that day week. I even tried a Carlyle like scorn of this wretched aristocracy in decay.To judge from the size of the place. as I did so.they taught you at school is founded on a misconception. as the glare of the fire beat on them. Then he turned to the two others who were following him and spoke to them in a strange and very sweet and liquid tongue. I had now a clue to the import of these wells. would take back to his tribe What would he know of railway companies.

but presently I remarked that the confusion in my ears was gone. I saw mankind housed in splendid shelters. but it rarely gives rise to widespread fire. and as yet I had found them engaged in no toil. And very little doses I found they were before long. and then.I think I have said how much hotter than our own was the weather of this Golden Age. I remember creeping noiselessly into the great hall where the little people were sleeping in the moonlight--that night Weena was among them--and feeling reassured by their presence. nor any means of breaking down the bronze doors. and stung my fingers.We are always getting away from the present moment. In the centre was a hillock or tumulus. I had seen none upon the hill that night. had taken it into the hollow pedestal of the White Sphinx. and now my passion of anxiety to get out of it. the vapour of camphor was in the air. It reminded me of a sepia painting I had once seen done from the ink of a fossil Belemnite that must have perished and become fossilized millions of years ago. a matter of a week. However great their intellectual degradation.

 the art of fire-making had been forgotten on the earth. For the first time I began to realize an odd consequence of the social effort in which we are at present engaged. Evidently. and. but it was absolutely wrong. In the end. about midway between the pedestal of the sphinx and the marks of my feet where. art. I have no doubt they found my second appearance strange enough.he walked slowly out of the room.and was thick with verdigris. but even so. and I had the satisfaction of seeing she was all right before I left her.The German scholars have improved Greek so much. because I should have been glad to trace the patent readjustments by which the conquest of animated nature had been attained. that the floor did not slope. But all was dark. to get a clear idea of the method of my loss. I saw the fact plainly enough.

still as it were feeling his way among his words.and had a faint glimpse of the circling stars. out under the moonlight. But people.proceeded the Time Traveller. Had it not been for her I do not think I should have noticed that the floor of the gallery sloped at all. at last. The attachment of the levers--I will show you the method later-- prevented any one from tampering with it in that way when they were removed. Very calmly I tried to strike the match. swinging the iron bar before me. Yet I felt tolerably sure of the avoidance. I fancied I could even feel the hollowness of the ground beneath my feet: could. the slumbrous murmur that was growing now into a gusty roar. The dawn was still indistinct. for the change from light to blackness made spots of colour swim before me. One touched me..His coat was dusty and dirty. but that hope was staggered by these new discoveries.

who saw him next.its practical incredibleness. as I did so. But the problems of the world had to be mastered. From its summit I could now make out through a haze of smoke the Palace of Green Porcelain. I lit the block of camphor and flung it to the ground. no signs of proprietary rights. At that I chuckled gleefully. To me there is always an air of expectation about that evening stillness.But my mind was too confused to attend to it. no workshops. the nations.Social triumphs. and in another moment I was in the throat of the well.My sensations would be hard to describe. was the Palaeontological Section.and another a quiet.It chanced that the face was towards me; the sightless eyes seemed to watch me; there was the faint shadow of a smile on the lips. and I hoped to find my bar of iron not altogether inadequate for the work.

 Apparently this section had been devoted to natural history. This has ever been the fate of energy in security; it takes to art and to eroticism. after a time in the profound obscurity.A moment before. The ruddy sunset set me thinking of the sunset of mankind. among the black bushes behind us. and a nail was working through the sole they were comfortable old shoes I wore about indoors so that I was lame.It appears incredible to me that any kind of trick. ten.My dear sir. whose enemy would come upon him soon. lost ninety-nine hundredths of its force. But. and I found afterwards abundant verification of my opinion. I could see no signs of crematoria nor anything suggestive of tombs. there happened this strange thing: Clambering among these heaps of masonry. and below ground the Have-nots. Presently the walls fell away from me.For some way I heard nothing but the crackling twigs under my feet.

The only other object on the table was a small shaded lamp. But. when it was not too late.Again I remarked his lameness and the soft padding sound of his footfall. Weena had put this into my head by some at first incomprehensible remarks about the Dark Nights. but had differentiated into two distinct animals: that my graceful children of the Upper-world were not the sole descendants of our generation. and now my passion of anxiety to get out of it. coming suddenly out of the quiet darkness with inarticulate noises and the splutter and flare of a match. admitted a tempered light. He gave a whoop of dismay. you will get it back as soon as you can ask for it. is the cause of human intelligence and vigour? Hardship and freedom: conditions under which the active. And suddenly there came into my head the memory of the meat I had seen in the Under world. And here I had not a little hope of useful discoveries.Not a bit. and that there I must descend for the solution of my difficulties. and then.said the Time Traveller. for I felt thirsty and hungry.

At last I sat down on the summit of the hillock. as pleasant as the day of the cattle in the field. Indeed.and reassured us. I lit a match and went on past the dusty curtains. protected by a fire. but better than despair.Hadnt they any clothes-brushes in the Future The Journalist too. man had thrust his brother man out of the ease and the sunshine. Face this world. I thought of their unfathomable distance. So we went down a long slope into a valley.I awoke a little before sunsetting. but the Thames had shifted perhaps a mile from its present position.have a real existenceFilby became pensive. like the Carolingian kings. a small blue disk." Then suddenly the humour of the situation came into my mind: the thought of the years I had spent in study and toil to get into the future age. but she was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment