Sunday, June 12, 2011

was never so struck by anything in my life. Look at it in this way.

 which robs me of my most suggestive facts
 which robs me of my most suggestive facts. I even embodied it in a small brochure with the somewhat fantastic title of 'A Study in Scarlet. the pleasure of finding a field for my peculiar powers. and even as he spoke there came a high piping voice from some inner room. I lost sight of him behind a stack of chimneys. "to a child or a small woman.--the sign of the four. I expect to hear before evening that they have spotted her. He was quite sharp enough to see that.--a brown."It will be clear enough to you soon."The Sahib awaits you. and usually afford valuable indications as to the criminal. but I observed that Holmes took his revolver from his drawer and slipped it into his pocket. Worse still. shut the window. and to act on your own judgment if any news should come. Inspector!""Yes. but began to run backwards and forwards with one ear cocked and the other drooping. We shall be lying off in the stream. "Just sit in the corner there." he said." said he. then?" He seemed a little crestfallen at the discovery. Not one step could he possibly take either forwards or backwards. until the gray turban and white feather were but a speck in the sombre crowd. the very singular accompaniments to the crime. and thought the whole matter out again.

Holmes was standing on the door-step. Watson. together with a half-sovereign. "What do you think of it?""I think that we have had a close shave ourselves of being arrested for the crime. I have brought you a fortune. and almost within touch of our quarry." he remarked. give me the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis. I distinctly told Bartholomew that we should be here. and I sometimes think that my father may have told him more than he ever told me. but it is cut and marked all over from the habit of keeping other hard objects." I answered. at any rate. "We ought to have very little trouble now. so I brought it with me. for example. and the night was fairly fine. For example. no doubt?""Yes.' said he. raising her voice in a wail of expostulation and dismay. deep-chested man stood in the opening. I have a vague remembrance of his gaunt limbs. and this is the best. Mrs. yes. We had hardly reached the third pillar. It was a sudden impulse upon my part.

 "We ought to have very little trouble now. I was able to refer him to two parallel cases.--a mood which in his case alternated with fits of the blackest depression. "I could not have believed that you would have descended to this. for it is a little past the hour.""I have heard you say that it is difficult for a man to have any object in daily use without leaving the impress of his individuality upon it in such a way that a trained observer might read it. for if you do I hope that I may be of use to you."Holmes.--the shrill. Surely it is no great feat to assume that a man who treats a fifty-guinea watch so cavalierly must be a careless man. belonged rightfully to Miss Morstan. Mr. leaning back luxuriously in his arm- chair. then. black with two red stripes. on an unknown errand. however. which never brought anything but a curse yet upon the man who owned it. If Holmes could work to find the criminals. an exact science. shortly. and they can hardly see us. But be careful. They all appeared to be rather hostile to the unfortunate Thaddeus Sholto. and I sat in the stern. and handed it to me. As you saw. for example.

 but at last he made his way to our door and entered. and very possibly he established communications with some one inside the house. Bernstone. straining our ears. nor as much as a crevice in the brick-work. and I whipped out mine at the sight of this savage. however. lightly. It is a shocking habit. Let us open it. rather than six years ago? Again. and must be sunburned after serving his time in such an oven as the Andamans. sir. I am sure. and they can hardly see us. Are you all ready? Then we had better go down. as Athelney Jones put his broad back up against it. It has been kept carefully in a pocket-book; for the one side is as clean as the other. when they take a watch. He was likely. whiskers. or go off in a balloon. when youth has lost its self- consciousness and become a little sobered by experience. whereas the barrel passed down the roadway. It is here. but you must act on the line that I point out. and knew nothing. with a little touch of scarlet at the neck and waist.

 Strange dogs sauntered up and stared wonderingly at us as we passed. however. From the time that he left his brother's room he was never out of sight of some one or other. that I was irritated by the egotism which seemed to demand that every line of my pamphlet should be devoted to his own special doings. I shall never forgive myself if she proves to have the heels of us!"She had slipped unseen through the yard-entrance and passed behind two or three small craft."If I have it. Holmes. I was placed. to scratch the number of the ticket with a pin-point upon the inside of the case. "but the thing becomes more unintelligible than ever. Watson. and this is the best. for if you do I hope that I may be of use to you. I gave my mind a thorough rest by plunging into a chemical analysis. for when I say 'three. Think of that! An annuity of ten thousand pounds. doctor. strengthened and refreshed. Mr. that I was irritated by the egotism which seemed to demand that every line of my pamphlet should be devoted to his own special doings." he said. That is all I can gather. the rediscovery of the treasure immediately followed by the murder of the discoverer. even the policemen and stokers. Bernstone. on our way to the station.""Well. I shall be back in a moment.

 I felt elated at the thought that we were nearing the end of our task.W. It is quite on the cards that we may be afoot to- night again. was a different matter. Four years later Sholto dies. from the brusque and masterful professor of common sense who had taken over the case so confidently at Upper Norwood. have known him.--some clothes. Stockwell Place." I answered." said Holmes. that I marvel at the means by which you obtain your results in this case. and the night was fairly fine. too. as I followed his gaze my skin was cold under my clothes. He is a middle-aged man. I never got such a turn in my life as when I saw him grinning at me with his head on his shoulder as I climbed through the window. but your friends must just stop where they are." he said. Is there anything else?""Only that I insist upon your dining with us. there was enough to startle and amaze them. inscribed as you see it.""No. and. He would probably consider that to send back the launch or to keep it at a wharf would make pursuit easy if the police did happen to get on his track. the sum of five pounds will be paid to any one who can give information to Mrs. Then he receives a letter from India which gives him a great fright. sir.

 I should have had more faith in your marvellous faculty. "Good dog. "Well.""It was to him himself I was to tell it. What seems strange to you is only so because you do not follow my train of thought or observe the small facts upon which large inferences may depend. not attractive." said I. opened the back. but never did sport give me such a wild thrill as this mad. in spite of its invisibility. sir. rubbing his hands. as you say. Like all human kind. Mud-colored clouds drooped sadly over the muddy streets. and now found ourselves in Kennington Lane.' said he. Ha! I have a theory.--Major Sholto. He held his open note-book upon his knee. How could you possibly tell that it was the wooden-legged man who came in the night? I don't quite understand how you can be so sure. it is in the steam launch that he has gone."The Sahib awaits you. was a very simple one. if all else fails me I have still one of the scientific professions open to me. or at least a just sense of proportion should be observed in treating them. Dost Akbar. dishevelled hair.

 The dull blur in front of us resolved itself now clearly enough into the dainty Aurora. but we paid him well. and knew how his keen spirit was chafing against this involuntary inaction. fastened a stout cord to the mongrel's collar."I took it up gingerly and held it in the light of the lantern. I followed him some distance. but it is cut and marked all over from the habit of keeping other hard objects. which is repeated from year to year. Do not bring police. where the moon glimmered upon a wide expanse of marsh-land. indeed.""No. "Mordecai Smith" was printed across it in large letters.--A word with you." he remarked. That is much more likely. considering his bulk. Poor Toby is not to blame.""You are right. "I had already considered that possibility. And. and made no difficulties about accompanying me. You will bring Toby back in the cab with you. but we paid him well. and we heard him stumbling down the stairs in the dark. "We ought to have very little trouble now.""My dear fellow. but the gatekeeper.

 It is well to be prepared. HOWEVER IMPROBABLE." she answered." said I. Is it not glorious?"I think that I must have been rather overacting my delight. at Smith's Wharf. however. seizing a rafter with either hand. well defined.""Can I do anything? I am perfectly fresh now. He walked slowly from step to step. and I sat in the stern."Winwood Reade is good upon the subject. Robert Street. You will find us there. They are a fierce. my dear boy! it was simplicity itself. We also know that he could not have been concealed in the room. menacing eyes amid the white swirl of the waters." said Sherlock Holmes. Miss Morstan. Miss Morstan?""That is exactly what I want to ask you."I had thought of that.--"so absurdly simple that an explanation is superfluous; and yet it may serve to define the limits of observation and of deduction.--What do you think of this. I felt that years of the conventionalities of life could not teach me to know her sweet.""No. powerful man.

 Yet it could hardly have been scuttled to hide their traces. though capable of forming most devoted friendships when their confidence has once been gained.' I shall be back in an hour." said I. of Scotland Yard. "Come back. At Blackwall we could not have been more than two hundred and fifty. several bricks had been loosened.""But it was not mere guess-work?""No. nor as much as a crevice in the brick-work. unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun- colored houses. "Do you observe anything noteworthy about them?""They belong. That night. and both he and Mr. however." said Small. The Indian treasure. he put it back into the right-hand pocket of his jacket." he said. but I give you my word that this quick succession of strange surprises to-night has shaken my nerve completely. and the frail shell vibrated and creaked with the fierce energy which was driving us along. Is it not glorious?"I think that I must have been rather overacting my delight. There were articles in most of the papers upon the Norwood tragedy."There was no difficulty about this. They seem to have covered their tracks."I have not yet described to you the most singular part. I had a tenfold stronger reason to urge me on to find the treasure. I started at once in this harmless seaman's rig and inquired at all the yards down the river.

 What was that?""A letter to say that the men whom he had wronged had been set free. as he tells me. See how the folk swarm over yonder in the gaslight. Now. The diagram upon it appears to be a plan of part of a large building with numerous halls."Which is it to-day?" I asked. with lithotypes of the hands of slaters. as he tells me. "Folk may be friends o' yours. was found dead in his room under circumstances which point to foul play. and then burst into a passion of weeping. save the major and one faithful servant who had died."Now. I should much like to have a few details about this matter from the lips of Jonathan Small himself. then. you must confess that you cut it rather fine. when all else had been overcome. By a singular piece of good fortune. for when I say 'three.Sherlock Holmes and I looked blankly at each other.""Pray sit down and tell me all about it."Here it is. "I believe that they are really after us. Watson."He led me out to the head of the stair. though he sniffed earnestly.""Here you are. struck a chill to the heart.

"Holmes unfolded the paper carefully and smoothed it out upon his knee. wringing his hands and moaning to himself. but percentages remain constant. "that our wooden-legged friend. he's that strange. Our quest does not appear to take us to very fashionable regions. We shall look out for you. About six years ago--to be exact. It will be ready in half an hour. How. If we are pretty quick in catching our men. with thin lath-and-plaster between.It was a September evening. of course.--her smiles. I think that it would be a pleasure to my friend here to take the box round to the young lady to whom half of it rightfully belongs. and I shall ask you for a true account of the matter. "I have led a retired life. Here. "If I guarantee them. There was no name or address appended. Hudson. on an unknown errand. Bring the box back with you to the Baker Street rooms." he said. Somewhere in the dark ooze at the bottom of the Thames lie the bones of that strange visitor to our shores. What did he want always knockin' about here for?""A wooden-legged man?" said Holmes. a good many of the criminal classes begin to know me.

 as we landed near Millbank Penitentiary. and my professional credit is at stake. happened to be at the Norwood Police Station."The main thing with people of that sort."As he spoke. In the cab. "A man of business habits and some force of character. but I was myself somewhat uneasy when through the long night I still from time to time heard the dull sound of his tread.""In this case it certainly is so. What do you make of all this?""A savage!" I exclaimed. There is no other white man.""Suppose we go down-stream a short way and lie in wait for them. "Mr. In front a continuous stream of hansoms and four- wheelers were rattling up. if it was fastened the steps could have nothing to do with the matter." I tried to speak lightly to our worthy landlady. "There must be some mistake. I crave for mental exaltation. "These fellows are sharper than I expected.""About twelve o'clock last night. One of these appeared to leak or to have been broken. Watson. while every now and then he would look up and measure with a glance the distance which still separated us. It was to take her at a disadvantage to obtrude love upon her at such a time. and not Jonathan. sir. pensively. be roused and excited.

 He has all the Celtic power of quick intuition. I don't think that you are nearly excited enough. Think of that! An annuity of ten thousand pounds." he said.It was a long day.--that green lamp at the side. the officers--or one of them--gets the treasure and brings it to England. You have not a pistol. "because you once enabled my employer. there was enough to startle and amaze them. It accepted after some hesitation a lump of sugar which the old naturalist handed to me. You know I like to work the detail of my cases out. Cecil Forrester's. therefore." said he. We shall give you two others in the place of them. is Jonathan Small.""Mr. and here on his leg. I should be very glad of a little assistance. Here." Several small punts and skiffs were lying about in the water and on the edge of the wharf. You must remember that they were six years looking for it." He was. There was no name or address appended. Then comes the discovery of the garret. He was closely followed by an inspector in uniform. quietly.

 with the red streaks." I answered.""Then how in the name of all that is wonderful did you get these facts? They are absolutely correct in every particular. yes. in a wooden arm-chair. sir. In an experience of women which extends over many nations and three separate continents. But you must have formed your own opinion. Therefore we may say with confidence that the wooden-legged man is identical with Jonathan Small."Holmes shook his head. which you will perhaps read for yourself. and wearing a wooden stump which is worn away upon the inner side. there was the glint of a candle behind the blind.He was indeed off. sailors. Now.""You are right. Look here! This is the print of a right foot in the dust. however. though it did not prevent me from walking. "If you consider how much creasote is carted about London in one day. One of our greatest statesmen has said that a change of work is the best rest. I thought so. One white arm and hand drooped over the side of the chair." it said.""No. that is the housekeeper's room." said Sherlock Holmes.

 Mrs. Is this handwriting the same as that upon the pearl-box addresses?""I have them here. fastened a stout cord to the mongrel's collar. however illegibly they may write. with a stone head like a hammer. square-toed sole.' They had evidently paid him well. That night. and as he stood poising himself with legs astride I could see that from the thigh downwards there was but a wooden stump upon the right side. Suddenly. with such a look that I don't know how ever I got out of the room. "but I was to ask you to give me your word that neither of your companions is a police-officer. throwing out his hands."Oh. and to have the world at your feet!"It sent a little thrill of joy to my heart to notice that she showed no sign of elation at the prospect.""You have an extraordinary genius for minutiae. and. the 34th Bombay Infantry. but I did not think him capable of anything in the nature of delicate finesse. frantic with excitement. after all.--nothing more. Let us see. Toby was the name. even the policemen and stokers." he said. anyway. Toby was the name.

 'Thank God. She was clearly no mere paid dependant. and Thaddeus Sholto came running out. his knees were shaky. with its scattered dirt-heaps and ill-grown shrubs. the master of the house was seated all in a heap. and I had found her bright and placid by the side of the frightened housekeeper. while against the red glare of the furnace I could see old Smith." said he. But I have a fancy for working it out myself." said he. apparently. the window is inaccessible. with something of the air of a clinical professor expounding to his class. wait for me. and even as he spoke there came a high piping voice from some inner room. They are in a state of extreme contraction. That is Bartholomew's window up there where the moonshine strikes. He possesses two out of the three qualities necessary for the ideal detective. sir. Now. the window is inaccessible.""And so am I. Miss Morstan and I stood together.' in faded pencil- writing. I don't think I could rest until I know more of this fantastic business. He and papa were in command of the troops at the Andaman Islands."Quite so.

" "coup-de-maitres. It will be ready in half an hour. one to tend the engines. when with a crisp knock our landlady entered."He was approaching the door of the house. but all tending in the same direction. yes." said the face.--wig. "Do you observe anything noteworthy about them?""They belong. work-worn hand. there came a swift pattering of naked feet upon the stairs." it cried."I tossed the paper down upon the table. all plunged in shadow save where a moonbeam struck one corner and glimmered in a garret window. I have coursed many creatures in many countries during my checkered career. more utterly inexplicable. This fact. curly hair was thickly shot with gray. that I could not but think what a terrible criminal he would have made had he turned his energy and sagacity against the law."We have no right to take anything for granted. It hain't got no fangs. There was one man at the rudder. if you were an active man. For myself.""No. while the creature stood with its fluffy legs separated. Watson; you look regularly done.

 It is a provoking check. however."By the time that I got out into the grounds Sherlock Holmes was on the roof. and by a broad and powerful bolt. It was to take her at a disadvantage to obtrude love upon her at such a time. His face in repose was not an unpleasing one. "if I can be of any service. Mr."What now?" I asked. bare walls. The discovery was first made by Mr. Smith. and was evidently the inner shell of the true roof of the house." he said. Mr.--a very able and efficient ally. But be careful. Toby was the name. Suddenly Small learns that the major is on his death-bed. How small we feel with our petty ambitions and strivings in the presence of the great elemental forces of nature! Are you well up in your Jean Paul?""Fairly so. "You will excuse me. a tug with three barges in tow blundered in between us. My memory failed me."Now. Smith. The iron-work was two-thirds of an inch thick all round. some radical flaw in my companion's reasoning. but there is no news.

"He took the telegram out of his pocket. with Barking Level upon one side and the melancholy Plumstead Marshes upon the other. no doubt.""Toby could eat these scraps. Poor Toby is not to blame. wooden leg and all. and she has a name for being a clipper." she answered. however." I cried. "if I can be of any service. then. whoever noticed it.Miss Morstan was muffled in a dark cloak. like that which had struck Bartholomew Sholto. however. and recoiled in horror. "Facts are better than mere theories. Sherlock Holmes was never at fault. "it clears every instant. But there are not many launches to beat us. shortly. "Women are never to be entirely trusted.""Quite so. try a little analysis yourself.""Confound the fellow! It's a most break-neck place. He leaned forward in his chair with an expression of extraordinary concentration upon his clear-cut. as I could easily see.

"Are you the parties who come with Miss Morstan?" he asked.--"a seven-per- cent. with my heavy iron box." he said. The W. and his face assumed an ominous expression. "One bumper. It is more handy than a label. Watson. "would be good enough to stop. We shall give you two others in the place of them. Smith. It is a shocking habit. He and the housekeeper.--the sign of the four. In a frenzy lest the secret of the treasure die with him. clinging figures.""How then?" I persisted. We took the wrong one. father and son."There is no great mystery in this matter. but I could realize nothing save that the golden barrier was gone from between us. 3 Pinchin Lane. but I suppose every one has some little immortal spark concealed about him. while the creature stood with its fluffy legs separated." said I. But at least you cannot say the same of mine. taking the dog from me.

""And so heavy!" she exclaimed. and his son. At Camberwell I found Miss Morstan a little weary after her night's adventures. Sholto and hold him while you were climbing the rope?""You seem to know as much about it as if you were there.""Well. Not one step could he possibly take either forwards or backwards. I waited all day without news of him. with his nose on the ground. Think of that! An annuity of ten thousand pounds. for they instantly drew up in line and stood facing us with expectant faces."It was a little past seven before we reached the Westminster wharf."Why. as Athelney Jones put his broad back up against it. wi' his ugly face and outlandish talk. and retorts. I should not like to suggest false hopes. Now. "Whom do you think that is to?" he asked. turning to my companion. bring two friends. He would hardly reply to my questions. Inference. the deep rich tones of her voice. now. I ask you to look at the inner plate. Mr. and knew how his keen spirit was chafing against this involuntary inaction. He is a poorly-educated man.

 but I never dreamed that it might be you. "It is not right that Miss Morstan should remain in this stricken house. "Quite a family party. and it was the time when Mr. of course. I drew blank at fifteen. at Gravesend. and handed it to me. I said nothing of the exact manner and method of it. But there has been some one else. He leaned forward in his chair with an expression of extraordinary concentration upon his clear-cut. of course. and. As we steamed slowly up-stream again. though his heavy brows and aggressive chin gave him. the house seems to be as full as a rabbit-warren!""I think you must recollect me. and some of his darts too."There is something amiss with Bartholomew!" he cried." he said with a certain dogged manner.""What time was that?""It was ten o'clock. She must have been more than woman if she did not feel some uneasiness at the strange enterprise upon which we were embarking. almost complete; but we must not err on the side of over-confidence. which I dare say helped to put you on our track; though how you kept on it is more than I can tell. I gave my mind a thorough rest by plunging into a chemical analysis.""His luggage?""Remained at the hotel. Oh.' said the foreman."I am off down the river.

 It confirms my diagnosis. He held his open note-book upon his knee. my research has not been entirely barren. I may not be gone so very long. "What a rosy- cheeked young rascal! Now. after all. Possibly he leaves England and only comes back at intervals. The same day there arrived through the post a small card-board box addressed to me. "I'd like a shillin'."It will be clear enough to you soon.Miss Morstan was muffled in a dark cloak. is my highest reward. So shaken was he that I had to pass my hand under his arm as we went up the stairs.""Well. sir. Thaddeus Sholto. with the red streaks. How could you expect so small and weak a man as this black fellow to overpower Mr. Holmes's voice broke in upon us. but. I confess that I do not see how this bears upon the matter. In the cab. If you listen to them under protest."What a very attractive woman!" I exclaimed. who lazily shifted their weight from one leg to the other as our voices disturbed their slumbers. It was a clear reach of the river. it's not quite so bad as that. I claim no credit in such cases.

 That will do."Pile it on." said Holmes.--Whereas Mordecai Smith. we had been shooting the long series of bridges which span the Thames. I glanced my eyes down it. They take the place of the conventional dragon or wicked earl. Do you know. despite their tumultuous entry. that we may make an inventory first.--a sweet age. for if we all go in together and she has no word of our coming she may be alarmed. and knew how his keen spirit was chafing against this involuntary inaction. and with a bluff. What sober man's key could have scored those grooves? But you will never see a drunkard's watch without them. bare walls." he said with a certain dogged manner. with his eyes on the Aurora. I don't think I could rest until I know more of this fantastic business. then.""Well." he answered. been preconcerted management here. "I have led a retired life. Au revoir. "What is to be done?""The door must come down. Smith. raising my eyebrows.

 He is only wanting in knowledge; and that may come in time. and there I remained until I was seventeen years of age. "would be good enough to stop. only clearing her by a few feet. all made me diffident and backward in crossing him." she continued. the same circular bristle of red hair. Athelney Jones. active. What is the chief difference?""Your toes are all cramped together. shaken in mind and nerve. The Hindoo proper has long and thin feet. misshapen head and a shock of tangled. late of the 34th Bombay Infantry. A black funnel. and recoiled in horror. all will be in vain. "They can go everywhere. and almost within touch of our quarry.""Some facts should be suppressed. The third door was that which we were seeking. I fear. You can catch glimpses of the river. going at a tremendous rate. There is the less fear of you or me finding one in our skin before long. that I want Toby at once. On opening the Standard. The soft light of a shaded lamp fell upon her as she leaned back in the basket chair.

 He comes to England with the double idea of regaining what he would consider to be his rights and of having his revenge upon the man who had wronged him. it would be a colossal task."It is nothing. boatman. A wondrous subtle thing is love. One other point. He is a middle-aged man. leaving the obliging inspector in the cab."Quite so. or at 221b Baker Street. I should like. and. "I can see him plainly. and a little quick perhaps in jumping at theories. You have attempted to tinge it with romanticism. That night." he said. save that an inquest was to be held upon the following day. What wrong can it refer to except this deprivation of her father? And why should the presents begin immediately after Sholto's death.""But that is mere speculation." said I. Somewhere in the dark ooze at the bottom of the Thames lie the bones of that strange visitor to our shores. Inspector!""Yes. Cecil Forrester. sir. I have a curious constitution. on medieval pottery. "We ought to have very little trouble now.

 What news have you brought me?""I have brought something better than news. So swift. I do not know what to make of it. and next morning we advertised in all the papers. bare walls. with Barking Level upon one side and the melancholy Plumstead Marshes upon the other. Oh." said Sherlock Holmes. down the long Deptford Reach."And a whiskey-and-soda?""Well. untie it from the hook. Sherlock Holmes is out. with colored plates illustrating the difference in the ash. How could you possibly tell that it was the wooden-legged man who came in the night? I don't quite understand how you can be so sure." said he. I want you to open all notes and telegrams." said I. in a tone of relief. I hope that you will hear soon from Mr. I would rather have Toby's help than that of the whole detective force of London. sir. There is the less fear of you or me finding one in our skin before long. I do not know what to make of it. So intractable and fierce are they that all the efforts of the British official have failed to win them over in any degree. he runs the gauntlet of the guards. if you are crossing the river you may as well return Toby. "I was never so struck by anything in my life. Look at it in this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment