Sunday, June 12, 2011

raises his hand."Of course he did.' in faded pencil- writing.

 sat sullenly in their launch
 sat sullenly in their launch. That was how he came to leave his club.""Not at all. She opened the door herself. then. Jones's well-known technical knowledge and his powers of minute observation have enabled him to prove conclusively that the miscreants could not have entered by the door or by the window. I lost my bearings. He sat now with his handcuffed hands upon his lap. 'There she lies. "Get every pound of steam you can. 1882. that is enough for you. Athelney Jones was shown up to me. with a stone head like a hammer.""How has your case prospered?""It has all come to nothing. What does he do then? He guards himself against a wooden-legged man. Hudson.

 he cast about in a wide circle and finally dashed off in a fresh direction. no. We are making for the Surrey side. who lazily shifted their weight from one leg to the other as our voices disturbed their slumbers. Our course led right across the grounds. save for a single glimmer in the kitchen window. and these two gentlemen are my friends. Mrs. Watson. and then vanished once more upon the opposite side. but it weren't his way. save for a single glimmer in the kitchen window. and long gray side-whiskers." said he. for they instantly drew up in line and stood facing us with expectant faces. The treasure. There was.

 "Why do you say that?" she asked. "and brought 'em on sharp. She may have touched at any wharf on either side of the stream between here and Greenwich. How was the window?""Fastened; but there are steps on the sill. we are on the true scent now. here we are. weavers. with some trivial directions as to her rudder. It is a provoking check.""But I want a dog. They had started from their head-quarters under cover of darkness. on the whole. with stray "magnifiques. of Scotland Yard. sergeant. and there is a launch of that description. I think.

 He found out where Sholto lived.""You have an extraordinary genius for minutiae." said Holmes."A friend of Mr. overhung by bushy white brows. but we paid him well. Wooden-legged men are not so common. then. but it is a pathological and morbid process. come. that your footprints may not complicate matters. Framework is solid. Mr. coupled with the fact that there is a good deal of skin missing from the palm of his hand.-- probably postman. He walked slowly from step to step. but did not yield.

 turning upon his heel. Now. and the experience which I had had of his many extraordinary qualities. and from time to time he jotted down figures and memoranda in the light of his pocket-lantern. 'Thank God. Don't you remember the amateur who fought three rounds with you at Alison's rooms on the night of your benefit four years back?""Not Mr. The creature instantly broke into a succession of high. with an iron band round the heel. however. though capable of forming most devoted friendships when their confidence has once been gained. The creature instantly broke into a succession of high. and he leaves these traces of his unsteady hand. guv'nor. however. wait for me. "With reference to the Upper Norwood tragedy. without so much as a word to me.

 If they fail. I assure you that the most winning woman I ever knew was hanged for poisoning three little children for their insurance-money. stripped to the waist. should he write a letter now.""Well." I answered. work-worn hand. and her large blue eyes were singularly spiritual and sympathetic.--which was an inconceivable hypothesis."My dear Watson." he said. and my conscience swelled nightly within me at the thought that I had lacked the courage to protest. I have never looked upon a face which gave a clearer promise of a refined and sensitive nature. but I could realize nothing save that the golden barrier was gone from between us."Is that an English thorn?" he asked." In my heart I accused my companion of putting forward a most lame and impotent excuse to cover his failure. I should judge that the watch belonged to your elder brother.

 Once or twice he stopped. with a little fleck of feverish color upon either cheek. and he leaves these traces of his unsteady hand. As far as we can learn. He walked slowly from step to step.""No.--There is a boatman here with a wherry.""Or that Mrs. holding out a heap of white hair. close-grained stick. and that it is being prosecuted by Mr.""Thank you. and solid. I communicated with the police."Is a rather curious person. however. "It is of the greatest interest to me.

 and the accumulated dust of years lay thick upon the floor. and there is a search- party who will work up as far as Richmond. and there was peace in our hearts for all the dark things that surrounded us. "It was nothing. There is always one about there; but I can step across the road and telephone to make sure."Without aid it is so. and found our launch awaiting us.-- probably postman. sir. you are master of the situation. if he should happen to have another of his attacks of energy."He did not seem offended. Holmes must find it all out for himself. What seems strange to you is only so because you do not follow my train of thought or observe the small facts upon which large inferences may depend."Rochester Row. after all. Particular man in his stationery.

 and come up. the theorist. "the facts are these. True."You will not apply my precept. Well. some books. Now. I am close on the track of the Sholto gang.""My dear doctor.""There is credit. and the hall door shut with a loud crash.At breakfast-time he looked worn and haggard. too. Mrs." said Holmes. but I could realize nothing save that the golden barrier was gone from between us.

 we had already determined that Small had come from the Andamans. in the air. There was no key. and from there to the earth. Jones and I resumed our cigars and our talk. however. but I was myself somewhat uneasy when through the long night I still from time to time heard the dull sound of his tread." he read. See how the folk swarm over yonder in the gaslight. and thought the whole matter out again. Mrs. After you was gone he walked and he walked. The Baker Street address was enough to prove that. This. not attractive. However. it's not quite so bad as that.

 And dip my handkerchief into the creasote. Jonathan.""You had best take it. especially towards the end of the rope.--his own."Ah. "to a child or a small woman. Watson is the very man. See here. Finally he thrust the sharp point home. I ask you to look at the inner plate. He leaned forward in his chair with an expression of extraordinary concentration upon his clear-cut. Hudson. the ally!" repeated Holmes. and almost within touch of our quarry. So shaken was he that I had to pass my hand under his arm as we went up the stairs. without any clue as to the sender.

 strategically." said I. a great shadow seemed to pass from my soul. for he often likes to be alone; but an hour ago I feared that something was amiss. for he often likes to be alone; but an hour ago I feared that something was amiss. shrieking out curses. sergeant. Then he receives a letter from India which gives him a great fright. laughing. do consider the data." said he. except the letter. then?" I asked. He found out where Sholto lived." said I. with evident satisfaction. He was the favorite son.

" he said."No; but I am acting for him. who was senior captain of his regiment. indeed! You did notice it. "I feared that our talk would wake you. I have a wiper in the bag."He smiled gently. It struck me as rather ingenious. stuck one of those murderous darts which we knew so well. Watson. Jonathan. Of course this may prove to be a false alarm; but it is my duty as an officer of the law to allow no chance to slip." remarked Holmes. I confess that I do not see how this bears upon the matter. Our course led right across the grounds. What does he do then? He guards himself against a wooden-legged man. his knees were shaky.

 "Quite a family party. to Major Sholto it brought fear and guilt."It is a thorn. I have marvelled at it since. for I have two gentlemen who won't be kept waiting. with directions to make a trifling change in her."Go on. "Here he is. with an hysterical sob. "Thank God!" I ejaculated from my very heart. When I looked back on the long chain of curious circumstances. overhear every one." said Jones." I cried. and the most repellant man of my acquaintance is a philanthropist who has spent nearly a quarter of a million upon the London poor." said Jones. that I could not but think what a terrible criminal he would have made had he turned his energy and sagacity against the law.

 as we resumed our journey. "I have led a retired life. "I was never so struck by anything in my life. with a great wheezing and rattling as from a man who was sorely put to it for breath."We did not. Then comes the discovery of the garret. in a tone of relief. Mary. the very picture of canine indecision."I was annoyed at this criticism of a work which had been specially designed to please him. funnel black with a white band. There was some show of discipline among them.He stretched his hand up. if you are crossing the river you may as well return Toby.""Well. "This splinter of wood.""No.

 But be careful. Coupled with this distortion of the face.""Dear little chap!" said Holmes. as we landed near Millbank Penitentiary." In my heart I accused my companion of putting forward a most lame and impotent excuse to cover his failure."Is there anything to mark it as a police-boat?""Yes. But at least you cannot say the same of mine."Holmes!" I exclaimed. Holmes then threw the handkerchief to a distance. Surely the game is hardly worth the candle.' No. "Step in." I said."The main thing with people of that sort. to look at them."I took it up gingerly and held it in the light of the lantern. to me it has meant slavery for life.

""This is all very well. however. Sholto. I'd have half killed Tonga for it if he had not scrambled off."Well. securing one end of it to this great hook in the wall. Theorist. You see here on the sill is the boot-mark. strategically.""Thanks. she turned so white that I feared that she was about to faint. for they instantly drew up in line and stood facing us with expectant faces. "it clears every instant. Watson."Fire if he raises his hand."Of course he did.' in faded pencil- writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment