Sunday, June 12, 2011

stepped up and given me that cross- hit of yours under the jaw.

 eyebrows
 eyebrows. cigarette-. As you saw. That is why I said. for a stream of dark-colored liquid had trickled out from it. some comfort. Right ahead a dark blur upon the water showed where the Aurora lay. and shovelling coals for dear life." said the face. Right ahead a dark blur upon the water showed where the Aurora lay." said he. These little darts. this is hardly a case for me to theorize over. to me it has meant slavery for life. Poor Toby is not to blame. save the major and one faithful servant who had died."Go on!" yelled the voice. I had to knock for some time at No. and yet there is no light in his window.""We MUST catch her!" cried Holmes. if you will help me to the men. It has. that I marvel at the means by which you obtain your results in this case. what conclusion would it suggest to your mind?""Death from some powerful vegetable alkaloid. which was headed "Mysterious Business at Upper Norwood. but he threw away his chances. At the same moment the wooden- legged man threw himself upon the rudder and put it hard down.

" he said with a certain dogged manner. I have a curious constitution. Make after that launch with the yellow light." she said. You must not mind my bein' just a little short wi' you at first. I ought to be back before three." said Holmes. But I have a fancy for working it out myself. far exceeding the usual rigor mortis. with something appealing in her voice and expression."No. Cecil Forrester." it cried. Mary.--What do you think of this. The rest is deduction. however. I made no remark. shifting radiance across the crowded thoroughfare. there hung a face.By the table.By the table. where are we to find our savage?""South American. When I came down to our room I found the breakfast laid and Homes pouring out the coffee. sergeant. flying man-hunt down the Thames. We had hardly reached the third pillar.

As I listened to the words and realized what they meant. Now come up into the garret with me for a moment."There is no great mystery in this matter. Jonathan Small must have felt that the peculiar appearance of his companion. and the experience which I had had of his many extraordinary qualities. Half of it is yours and half is Thaddeus Sholto's. Miss Morstan. but I never saw the case yet that he could not throw a light upon. There is much food for thought in Richter. are remarkably small. though. I waited all day without news of him. a great shadow seemed to pass from my soul. her hand quivered. By heaven. There is no objection to my having an unofficial interview with him. I may not be gone so very long.""I give you my word on that. "Very sorry. I ask you to look at the inner plate. Just opposite the Seymour Street Office they have taken up the pavement and thrown up some earth which lies in such a way that it is difficult to avoid treading in it in entering. as you probably know. and I was conscious of a strong reaction after the successive excitements of the night. Hence the cocaine. I don't feel no malice against you for it. The Aurora herself we hauled off and made fast to our stern. He swears he knew nothing of this Norwood business.

 "State your case. Wiggins. outward bound for the Brazils. with the red streaks. "Step in. and every time the bell rang out he came on the stairhead. dear! oh. for it may prove to be of use to us. while we shot past her stern.""Had he any friends in town?""Only one that we know of. to show that I followed his reasoning. Are you game for a six-mile trudge. with bland surprise. and people would be about in an hour or so. the one at Riga in 1857. genial inspector as my companion. "It is of the greatest interest to me. but a valuable collection of Indian gems which the deceased gentleman had inherited from his father has been carried off. stone-headed wooden mace.""Preserve it carefully." He hurried for the door. From the great black house there sounded through the silent night the saddest and most pitiful of sounds. I am sure."Your leg will stand it?""Oh. then?""Perfectly.""Yes. He was the favorite son.

""Not only will I clear him. and your ally would draw up the rope. "All day I have waited to hear from him. and his tail in the air. Since then every year upon the same date there has always appeared a similar box. and instantly rose again with a sharp intaking of the breath. My memory failed me. and stopped finally in a corner screened by a young beech. was full of curiosity. and the bright stair-rods. or 'risus sardonicus. See here. Thaddeus Sholto that I am anxious. or at 221b Baker Street." said our visitor.--the shrill. in a husky and confidential voice.""Quite so. Jack.I felt that my position was an embarrassing one. Our boilers were strained to their utmost. Somewhere in the dark ooze at the bottom of the Thames lie the bones of that strange visitor to our shores. Offer to assist them in every way. Or perhaps you are too tired?""By no means. Jonathan I shall leave to you. At one point is a small cross done in red ink. Athelney Jones proved to be a sociable soul in his hours of relaxation.

" He whipped out his lens and a tape measure. a curious paper was found in papa's desk which no one could understand.""What then?" I asked." said he. a terrible expression when moved to anger. The furnaces roared. and I suppose we must wink at it. Jonathan." I said. laughing.--some clothes."She is very fast. Holmes glanced at it. an exact science. Sherlock Holmes is a wonderful man. portly man in a gray suit strode heavily into the room. and there stood whining. why. and sank back into the velvet-lined arm-chair with a long sigh of satisfaction. Still. Don't go."Ah. The dress was a sombre grayish beige. sergeant. truth to tell. "I know a dog that would follow that scent to the world's end. hardly that.

 and I shall be suspected of having had a hand in it.Sherlock Holmes took his bottle from the corner of the mantel- piece and his hypodermic syringe from its neat morocco case. There is always one about there; but I can step across the road and telephone to make sure. see everything." he said. Sherlock Holmes!" roared the prize-fighter. Individuals vary. Toby never hesitated or swerved. on the Buddhism of Ceylon. without so much as a word to me. It was massive. His back was bowed."I took the paper from him and read the short notice. with his wooden leg. but I could realize nothing save that the golden barrier was gone from between us. but his stump instantly sank its whole length into the sodden soil. "This splinter of wood. I have had to release two of my prisoners. and Mrs. anyhow." He moved slowly forward with his candle among the queer animal family which he had gathered round him." said Holmes. Holmes must find it all out for himself. sir. you have him there!" said he. however.""Oh.

 And here is a circular muddy mark." said he. So says the statistician. Many a time I've heard him call out at the prices they charge for a few odd bags. as you probably know. however. but it is a pathological and morbid process. I waited all day without news of him. Don't go. No. doctor?"I looked out of the open window. He had signed it in behalf of himself and his associates. She listened with parted lips and shining eyes to my recital of our adventures. WITHIN A WEEK OF HIS DEATH Captain Morstan's daughter receives a valuable present. we can do nothing but await results. Sherlock Holmes has gone out. Let us make good use of it. "I know a dog that would follow that scent to the world's end.""No. There was no help for it. "Quite a family party. "She is the only woman in the house. the one at Riga in 1857."Which is it to-day?" I asked. Our inquiries led to no result; and from that day to this no word has ever been heard of my unfortunate father."The police had brought a cab with them. One other point.

" she whispered. was it honorable. He is a poorly-educated man.The situation was a curious one. who had called at the house with Mr. producing some silver. doctor. I suppose."He took up his violin from the corner. reappearing down the steps again. The other man--""Ah! the other man--?" asked Athelney Jones. morose."This is all an insoluble mystery to me. of Scotland Yard. Smith!""Lor' bless you. but he turned on me.""In this case. weavers. wrought in the image of a sitting Buddha.We had traversed Streatham. "I am the last and highest court of appeal in detection. the pleasure of finding a field for my peculiar powers. and there was peace in our hearts for all the dark things that surrounded us. He tapped at the winder. however. in the midst of a litter of lath and plaster. the fog.

 Holmes coud talk exceedingly well when he chose. I shall make no secret of the business. and in excellent spirits." said Holmes; "and you had best take a pull out of my flask. very broad in the beam?""No. "Ah." he answered. "Just sit in the corner there. and. You will drive. and his strong yellow teeth gnashing at us in the light of our lantern. while we took our places inside. Sholto. and I noticed that his face was dark and troubled." remarked Holmes. and the whole air was heavy with the smell of creasote. and kicked frantically into the mud with his other foot."He had recovered his self-possession in an instant. "Our friend won't keep us out in the cold now. my dear boy! it was simplicity itself. I was limp and weary. of Scotland Yard. I had myself seen the evidence. But be careful. and has been a convict. shortly. No.

 We had hardly reached the third pillar. and reascended the stairs. "Show them in to me. Jonathan I shall leave to you." said Jones; "but if the affair were in my hands I should have had a body of police in Jacobson's Yard. and it is partly open. He was the favorite son."It looks like a thorn. "if I can be of any service. and her large blue eyes were singularly spiritual and sympathetic.""Oh. kindly. much sunburned."The only unofficial consulting detective." he remarked. He is only wanting in knowledge; and that may come in time. to Major Sholto it brought fear and guilt."He took the telegram out of his pocket. We were driving to an unknown place. It is very hot for the time of year; and I have had a good deal to worry and try me. bearing a card upon the brass salver."I cannot understand it. The earth is of this peculiar reddish tint which is found. I have seen something of the sort on the side of a hill near Ballarat.""If you'll let one out it's just what I have come for. Holmes?""No: I am not tired. Observation tells me that you have a little reddish mould adhering to your instep.

 The soft light of a shaded lamp fell upon her as she leaned back in the basket chair.""Don't promise too much. You can do what you will. He found out where Sholto lived.""On the contrary. You know I like to work the detail of my cases out. tar-like odor. The staves of the barrel and the wheels of the trolley were smeared with a dark liquid. the words upon the card." said Holmes. He is a middle-aged man."Lend me your bull's-eye. and I had no relative in England. You had the proper workhouse cough. and a guinea to the boy who finds the boat. Let me know the moment you have news. It must have whizzed between us at the instant that we fired. There was no eagerness in her voice.--a blind. and the initials are as old as the watch: so it was made for the last generation. I shall make no secret of the business. On leading Toby to the place where he had committed his fault. I could see from Miss Morstan's manner that she was suffering from the same feeling. with an hysterical sob. had a blighted. do consider the data. and that it is being prosecuted by Mr.

 They were anxious to hear what happened. The case."Why. Sholto usually went down to his supper. sir. His height is readily calculated from the length of his stride."Here you are. and usually afford valuable indications as to the criminal. But there are objections to that. It had struck her. that's all. They had only led us. and a wooden-legged ruffian. I hope he's not going to be ill. He was an aged man. I see that the cab is at the door. guv'nor." he added. The yellow glare from the shop-windows streamed out into the steamy. and I am in my own proper atmosphere. box in hand. reached a questionable and forbidding neighborhood."He was approaching the door of the house.""I am sorry. then?" I asked. and she readily answered the few additional questions which Sherlock Holmes put to her. Thaddeus brought this up.

 and was surprised to find him standing by my bedside. "is never to let them think that their information can be of the slightest importance to you. When Gregson or Lestrade or Athelney Jones are out of their depths--which. With all the will in the world." said Sherlock Holmes."This looks bad. happening to pick up one of my boys on the way." I answered.It was a September evening. Can I rely upon you?""Most certainly. 'Be at the third pillar from the left outside the Lyceum Theatre to- night at seven o'clock. clad in seafaring garb. earnestly. I thought I knew the glint of your eye. When I looked back on the long chain of curious circumstances. a middle-aged. It has been kept carefully in a pocket-book; for the one side is as clean as the other. so I went up and peeped through the key-hole. her hand quivered. Hudson as she came up to lower the blinds." he answered. and handed it to me. then he has been at fault too. this is the great Agra treasure. that is all. I think. When you have dropped Miss Morstan I wish you to go on to No.

" He moved slowly forward with his candle among the queer animal family which he had gathered round him. Jonathan Small must have felt that the peculiar appearance of his companion. I had inquiries made. is Jonathan Small. I can hardly imagine anything more strange. I may not be gone so very long. though it did not prevent me from walking. You are a wronged woman. I might land the launch over to some boat-builder or repairer. something eerie and ghost-like in the endless procession of faces which flitted across these narrow bars of light. why did not Jonathan Small get the treasure himself? The answer is obvious. Watson. It is the impression of a wooden stump. if I remember right. However. was found dead in his room under circumstances which point to foul play. That wire was to my dirty little lieutenant. reserved his launch for the final escape. after a while. Jones. They are a fierce. and has been a convict." he said. I found that there was a fresh allusion to the business.". yes. and the most repellant man of my acquaintance is a philanthropist who has spent nearly a quarter of a million upon the London poor.

 is one 'Upon the Distinction between the Ashes of the Various Tobaccoes. like one who has a relish for conversation. who inherited it from your father. if you set about it alone. and was girt round with a very high stone wall topped with broken glass."He held down the lamp to the floor.--especially in cases of unclaimed bodies." I answered. Dr. WITHIN A WEEK OF HIS DEATH Captain Morstan's daughter receives a valuable present. producing some silver. that is all. An' I knows where the treasure is. the officers--or one of them--gets the treasure and brings it to England. Jones turned our search-light upon her. however. Watson. I suppose?""You must not be later. how far can a specially-trained hound follow so pungent a smell as this? It sounds like a sum in the rule of three.""How has your case prospered?""It has all come to nothing. however. Here."Without aid it is so. I think we may all congratulate each other. but the other man must. Mrs. Just imagine what it must be to be so rich.

 Forrester had come back very early. "If I have not returned. But you will know all about it soon enough. and would have preferred if he could have been simply bound and gagged."It tended down towards the river-side."This is just the case where they might be invaluable. when pop he went through a hole in the middle of it. and on my return I found Holmes dejected and somewhat morose. How could you possibly tell that it was the wooden-legged man who came in the night? I don't quite understand how you can be so sure.""Certainly.""I heard nothing."You have no reason for fear. and every time the bell rang out he came on the stairhead. we are on the true scent now. round piece of wood. The dull blur in front of us resolved itself now clearly enough into the dainty Aurora. He looked across at me. and finally. The Indian treasure. is the way by which Number One entered. looking up to us from time to time. angry cries there was movement in the huddled bundle upon the deck. and the lantern quivered and rattled in his hand. the more dreadful parts of the tragedy. Our pistols rang out together. The thing seems to me to be deeper and more inexplicable. while he looked with his keen.

 and in excellent spirits."There is something devilish in this. if you will help me to the men. however. It was soothing to catch even that passing glimpse of a tranquil English home in the midst of the wild. I had my net drawn tightly round Mr. in a disappointed voice. What d'you think the man died of?""Oh." said the face. near in to the shore. It is worth trying. It was to take her at a disadvantage to obtrude love upon her at such a time. but at that moment my eye caught an advertisement in the agony column. Is there nothing else?""They appear to be much as other footmarks. and Mrs. "I am sorry that it has come to this. I could not sleep. and a guinea to the boy who finds the boat.""But you might have stuck to Mordecai Smith. There was no key. reckless-eyed fellow. The key being turned. his earnest face. I confess that I am surprised and disappointed. It came away from the skin so readily that hardly any mark was left behind. but still the Aurora thundered on. Thaddeus Sholto that I am anxious.

""How came he. You will have a couple of hundred thousand each." said Jones; "but if the affair were in my hands I should have had a body of police in Jacobson's Yard. sir. "Tiles were loosened the whole way along." said Wiggins. on his own confession. "It is cocaine. I thought. my man knew he was comin'." "coup-de-maitres. he enters the room that night." said Jones. A map is drawn for them by an Englishman named Jonathan Small.""Simple!" I ejaculated."We will be at Vauxhall Bridge presently. However."It will be clear enough to you soon. muttering his observations aloud the while. and as he did so I saw for the second time that night a startled. They are a fierce. I should be culpable if I neglected it.""That was the idea which occurred to me the instant I saw the drawn muscles of the face. We communicated with him. Hudson. What wrong can it refer to except this deprivation of her father? And why should the presents begin immediately after Sholto's death. with a bitter smile.

" said my companion. Holmes must find it all out for himself. I thought over every possible course. He was stiff and cold. A strange enigma is man!""Some one calls him a soul concealed in an animal."The small change was made.--don't promise too much!" snapped the detective. "it clears every instant. "We shall work the case out independently. playing over her sweet. deep-chested man stood in the opening. He was the favorite son." said he. Bartholomew Sholto in joy and in sorrow for ten long years. I distinctly told Bartholomew that we should be here. but dips his naked foot into creasote. Since. like a school-ruler.""In this case. "You may find it a harder matter than you think. "It does me good to see you. a curious paper was found in papa's desk which no one could understand. but he subsided into an ale-house: so I went back to the yard. that's all. and have no friends whom I could appeal to.""I expected to hear you say so. I should judge that the watch belonged to your elder brother.

 the strange scene at Major Sholto's death. and he muttered the names as the cab rattled through squares and in and out by tortuous by-streets. the launch. Sholto. There is no other injustice in her case that you know of. "I thought that Mrs."I won't be argued with!" shouted Mr. I should be very glad of a little assistance. then. You see.""Smith says she is one of the fastest launches on the river. on consulting the back files of the Times. and look out for Blondin. but. all plunged in shadow save where a moonbeam struck one corner and glimmered in a garret window. for I'm guyed at by the children. bring two friends. taller and older than the others. My memory failed me. but the other man must. and so been led to their hiding-place. The key being turned. They have always been a terror to shipwrecked crews. and I saw them a moment later streaming down the street. dressed n some sort of white diaphanous material." said Holmes. in an off-hand way.

" he said. Holmes alone could rise superior to petty influences. At Greenwich we were about three hundred paces behind them. upon the back?""Quite so. considering his bulk. Let us turn to something brighter. Bring the box back with you to the Baker Street rooms. By her advice I published my address in the advertisement column."A friend of Mr. this Hippocratic smile. of course. I dare say. let us put ourselves in the place of Jonathan Small. however. the theorist. cigarette-.""Perhaps they stood here for some time. and reascended the stairs. at any rate. has a touch of charlatanism in it. and all. It straightened itself into a little black man--the smallest I have ever seen--with a great. brown-and-white in color. eagerly. She little guessed the struggle within my breast. "I am sorry that it has come to this. with thin lath-and-plaster between.

 putting down the box upon the table and speaking jovially and boisterously. Holmes smiled at it and shrugged his shoulders in his easy fashion. That was how he came to leave his club. "to the success of our little expedition. and very possibly he established communications with some one inside the house. Your friend can remain. and the police will be called in. she would be an heiress. I suppose?""Yes; it is Benares metal-work. very broad in the beam?""No. I am loath to go. Below the bridge there is a perfect labyrinth of landing-places for miles. with 'What is that. The only person in London whom he could have visited is Major Sholto. how did he depart? Ah.""You are under the charge of Mr. but dips his naked foot into creasote. You didn't get away from us so easily. "but the thing is quite natural. Neither is it a very far-fetched inference that a man who inherits one article of such value is pretty well provided for in other respects. Beside it is written. sir.--that your brother was often at low water. I could only say what was the balance of probability. Take that chair and try one of these cigars. so I gives it the run o' the room. and was soon involved in a labyrinth of streets upon the other side.

"What now?" I asked. as he rose from the table and lit his pipe. and do both banks thoroughly."Yes. surely. and he muttered the names as the cab rattled through squares and in and out by tortuous by-streets. The rest is deduction." she said. "You see the slight smudge of blood upon the white plaster." I said."What the deuce is the matter with the dog?" growled Holmes. clinging figures. At last. of course Miss Morstan too. then! Catch!--A fine child. yesterday. without any clue as to the sender." I said. "I suppose that its influence is physically a bad one. and should be treated in the same cold and unemotional manner. Inspector!""Yes. before a small. It is a point which is continually turning up in criminal trials. and knew nothing. of the simplest."Don't trouble yourself about it.""About twelve o'clock last night.

" said he. send an inspector with you. Miss Morstan and I stood together. Evidently what puzzled the dog at the corner of Knight's Place was that there were two different trails running in opposite directions. muttering his observations aloud the while. then. graceful woman.". I could not disguise from myself that even if Holmes's explanation were incorrect the true theory must be equally outre and startling. There was something strangely incongruous in this Oriental figure framed in the commonplace door-way of a third-rate suburban dwelling-house. the remarkable weapons. "Is that the treasure. the theorist. and yet no friends o' the master's. and actually fires a pistol at him. Yet it would be a petty and selfish love which would be influenced by such a thought as that. disloyal. and see if I can put you to sleep. and Holmes despatched his wire." said I. Captain Morstan disappears. of course. pressed down the tiny piston.""He might. Now. and.""Away.

 I caught one glimpse of his venomous. They all appeared to be rather hostile to the unfortunate Thaddeus Sholto.""Your works?""Oh. and shall have justice. doctor. I don't know none o' your friends. Cecil Forrester."He did not seem offended. Jones yelled to them to stop. for a stream of dark-colored liquid had trickled out from it. and I sometimes think that my father may have told him more than he ever told me. addressing my companion. Upper Norwood. "Count the cost! Your brain may." she said. and tell him. If I am here at six it will do. it's not quite so bad as that. with a great wheezing and rattling as from a man who was sorely put to it for breath. but he is deficient in the wide range of exact knowledge which is essential to the higher developments of his art. of his own regiment. "Perhaps one of those Indians who were the associates of Jonathan Small. half a million in treasure. Watson; you look regularly done. so I brought it with me. is a curious little work upon the influence of a trade upon the form of the hand. dark thorn stuck in the skin just above the ear.

 I fancy that.""Hardly that. Smith has put us on a wrong scent."The date?" asked Holmes. "But our expedition of to-night will solve them all. Holmes glanced at his watch. Can I rely upon you?""Most certainly. everything; and yet I can get no news. But I weary you with my hobby. Mr. I should have had more faith in your marvellous faculty. and then if there was much doin' there he might ha' stayed over. and do both banks thoroughly." I said. inscrutable smile upon his face. or ought to be. but waddled on in his peculiar rolling fashion. some comfort. leaving. None of the other houses were inhabited. It may be looked upon as the very latest authority. they did not go very far. but our companion maintained his impenetrable reserve until the end of our journey. clinging figures. His bright humor marked the reaction from his black depression of the preceding days. and a considerable number of curiosities from the Andaman Islands. "God's truth! how could I have mistook you? If instead o' standin' there so quiet you had just stepped up and given me that cross- hit of yours under the jaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment