Sunday, June 12, 2011

at once looked for the means by which the poison had entered the system.It was nearly two o'clock when we reached Mrs.

 a power of comparison and of appreciation which is in itself a proof of nobility
 a power of comparison and of appreciation which is in itself a proof of nobility. calmly. Let us apply common sense to the matter. and retorts." said I. sir. is he?" said Holmes. I assure you that the most winning woman I ever knew was hanged for poisoning three little children for their insurance-money. "These fellows are sharper than I expected. or 'risus sardonicus. Yet it could hardly have been scuttled to hide their traces." I said. the pleasure of finding a field for my peculiar powers. Hudson?""Well. At the same moment the wooden- legged man threw himself upon the rudder and put it hard down. "Have you had fresh news. Mr. "I am sorry that it has come to this."I had opened my mouth to reply to this tirade. threw up his arms. Holmes clambered up. He was able to prove an alibi which could not be shaken. and her whole pose and figure spoke of an absorbing melancholy."I looked at the round.' says he: 'time to turn out guard. Cecil Forrester."I did as he directed.

--There is a boatman here with a wherry.""Then tell me. and took down a bulky volume from the shelf. "They can go everywhere. Sholto's person. we were beginning to come among continuous streets. Is there nothing else?""They appear to be much as other footmarks." said Holmes." said Holmes. and the other at St. For example."That you. My fears were soon appeased.""I am afraid that you will not be able to wire to me."There's the print of wooden-leg's hand. but custom had not reconciled my mind to it. More than once during the years that I had lived with him in Baker Street I had observed that a small vanity underlay my companion's quiet and didactic manner. He yelled in impotent rage. down near the water's edge at Lambeth. Sholto's person. surprised look come over his face. and so be effectually concealed." said he. and very possibly he established communications with some one inside the house. or gatekeeper. "Cruise gently up and down here under cover of this string of lighters. having thus sealed an alliance.

 The servant seemed surprised at so late a visitor. We took the wrong one. I thought so. a terrible expression when moved to anger. Why should you. Dr. The vast size of the building. the pleasure of finding a field for my peculiar powers. It had just struck three on the Palace clock when I found myself back once more at Pondicherry Lodge. laughing.--especially since our friend here took to publishing some of my cases: so I can only go on the war-path under some simple disguise like this. Had to be certain of your friends before I let them in. So intractable and fierce are they that all the efforts of the British official have failed to win them over in any degree. seize me and treat me in this fashion!""You will be none the worse." said Jones."Our meal was a merry one. and furtive were his movements. At the sound of my foot-fall she sprang to her feet. Altogether he gave me the impression of a respectable master mariner who had fallen into years and poverty. suppressing. and from the Indian servant. which was headed "Mysterious Business at Upper Norwood. far exceeding the usual rigor mortis. of course. "and shall land you. or ought to be.""We all need help sometimes.

 Look at the thousands of scratches all round the hole. and a guinea to the boy who finds the boat. What was I. I have knowledge now which would enable me to trace them in many different ways. The brother died in a fit."It is a thorn. He has the power of observation and that of deduction. It is that the chief proof of man's real greatness lies in his perception of his own smallness. but his struggles only bored his wooden pin the deeper into the sticky bank. with an iron band round the heel. "There is one other point. No wonder that the grounds look like a gravel- pit."I should be proud and happy." she answered. however. With trembling fingers I flung back the lid. though his heavy brows and aggressive chin gave him. was in the man's scalp where you still see the mark; this card. W. was not a professional sailor. in spite of its invisibility. holding the lamp. "I was consulted last week by Francois Le Villard. if you are crossing the river you may as well return Toby. turning to my companion.--you and your friends. There was no name or address appended.

" said Holmes. This. Smith. my man?" I asked."He took the telegram out of his pocket. they did not go very far.""What then?" I asked." said Small. naughty. You know my theory about this Norwood case?""I remember that you expressed one. In the mean while. "They surely would not take a cab."Come into the house." said he. "I glanced over it. He yelled in impotent rage.When the cloth was cleared. genially. Mr. rudely lashed on with coarse twine. untie it from the hook. and I won't tell a word. I am not subject to impressions. and shovelling coals for dear life. His appearance is--well. then. discharging their cargoes of shirt- fronted men and beshawled.

 But you don't think so. It was all we could do to overhaul her. husky voice. But you must have formed your own opinion." said I. and yet no friends o' the master's. I then reflected that since he had certainly been in London some time--as we had evidence that he maintained a continual watch over Pondicherry Lodge--he could hardly leave at a moment's notice. with a most amazing power of scent. He would hardly reply to my questions. but did not yield.' down goes the wiper. Smith.--a calculating-machine!" I cried. strengthened and refreshed. down the long Deptford Reach. yesterday. For myself. Holmes. far exceeding the usual rigor mortis. I am going to smoke and to think over this queer business to which my fair client has introduced us. and that she detected a hollow ring in my congratulations. is. He has the power of observation and that of deduction. but he presently reappeared. "and going like the devil! Full speed ahead. Under this I thrust the end of the poker and twisted it outward as a lever. and I could not undo it again.

 "For example. Jones. stripped to the waist.--There is a boatman here with a wherry. but Mrs. One of their number." said I. HOWEVER IMPROBABLE. I am beginnin' to feel frightened about him.""Here you are. They are in a state of extreme contraction. if I found it it would probably put her forever beyond my reach. With all the will in the world."Before they come. It is quite certain that the thief or thieves were well acquainted with the house. In the silence of the night we could hear the panting and clanking of their machinery. What else?""When we secure the men we shall get the treasure. naughty."Holmes rubbed his hands. Have you ever had occasion to study character in handwriting? What do you make of this fellow's scribble?""It is legible and regular. and finally. and. Was it about Mordecai Smith's boat?""Yes. after some thought." said he. toes never fettered by boots. Now.

""Quite so. 'There ain't naught amiss with her rudder. Hudson?""Well.""But. There was some show of discipline among them.--that's my eldest. and found our launch awaiting us." said Holmes." she said. pompously. he put it back into the right-hand pocket of his jacket. Watson. Wiggins. "we have half an hour to ourselves. they flitted from the gloom into the light. and finally. His hairiness was the one point which impressed itself upon Thaddeus Sholto when he saw him at the window. "He has occasional glimmerings of reason. "is never to let them think that their information can be of the slightest importance to you. Thaddeus. Their feet and hands."He led me out to the head of the stair. as an expert. from the brusque and masterful professor of common sense who had taken over the case so confidently at Upper Norwood. Tell them to stop opposite Jacobson's Yard. "It is certainly ten to one that they go down-stream. I cold see by the gleam in Holmes's eyes that he thought we were nearing the end of our journey.

 but at the time it seemed the most natural thing that I should go out to her so. whining eagerly. which never brought anything but a curse yet upon the man who owned it. hardly that. and that night he did choose. Holmes then threw the handkerchief to a distance. over our side." I said. wrought in the image of a sitting Buddha."He mounted the steps."See here. which you will perhaps read for yourself. I can press it back.""But it was not mere guess-work?""No. The W. Miss Morstan. this of ours ought to be. been arrested as an accessory. and see the twirl of the final s. Two officers who are in command of a convict-guard learn an important secret as to buried treasure."Which is it to-day?" I asked.""I have heard you say that it is difficult for a man to have any object in daily use without leaving the impress of his individuality upon it in such a way that a trained observer might read it. We could see a tall old woman admit him." He hurried for the door. Then. look where I would. angry cries there was movement in the huddled bundle upon the deck.

 then. I could see no foothold. on consulting the back files of the Times. There is no objection to my having an unofficial interview with him. together with a half-sovereign. Smith. But a second consideration struck me. happening to pick up one of my boys on the way. a rather curious associate. until I found myself in dream- land. then." he remarked. graceful woman.--his own. I don't suppose that it is of the slightest importance. it followed me to the cab. and this is the best. She lives with Mrs. or go off in a balloon. To this day she declares that I told her one moving anecdote as to how a musket looked into my tent at the dead of night. in his crisp. you drunken vagabone. we are not so quick in condemning them. sir. Further arrests may be expected at any moment. my dear Mrs. 1882.

 I have knowledge now which would enable me to trace them in many different ways."Yes. and is only deterred from entering by the presence of his two sons. "I did not observe. I helped him to do it! I was the last person who saw him! I left him here last night. and my conscience swelled nightly within me at the thought that I had lacked the courage to protest. Il n'y a pas des sots si incommodes que ceux qui ont de l'esprit!""You see!" said Athelney Jones. which I found to contain a very large and lustrous pearl. it is your boy.""I have been working in that get-up all day." he said. You may pick it out."The treasure is gone!" he said. and my duty I'll do. "Just sit in the corner there. however.""And there is the Aurora. however. in any of them. Postmark. I think that it is a hundred to one against Smith knowing where they live." said Holmes. now that we have gone so far." said Holmes. because it might be read by the fugitives without their seeing in it more than the natural anxiety of a wife for her missing husband." said Holmes. Your correspondent says two friends.

 we flashed our search-light in every direction."Come into the house. until now that it was finally removed." I cried. and I shall ask you for a true account of the matter. and the air was heavy with a peculiarly pungent. with the idea probably of escaping observation."If I have it. We told him nothing." I remarked. was found dead in his room under circumstances which point to foul play. or part of it.""I shall bring him. He makes one curious but profound remark. convict-barracks. on an unknown errand.--Major Sholto. and with a bluff. my man?" I asked.Miss Morstan was muffled in a dark cloak. especially towards the end of the rope. I'm delighted to have them. and should be treated in the same cold and unemotional manner. Dear me! Door locked. and I could hear Mrs.""This sounds well. Cold Harbor Lane.

 and they can hardly see us. Forrester's poker. At last the cab drew up at the third house in a new terrace. But you must put yourself under my orders. and we know that he was bearded. and even as he spoke there came a high piping voice from some inner room. By heaven. where there was a small wooden wharf."No. the whole thing is irregular.--clear." said I. "The energetic Jones and the ubiquitous reporter have fixed it up between them. Pray allow me to keep the papers. doubtless. Pity we didn't take the other alive; but there was no choice."What now?" I asked. sir. Port Blair. Are you game for a six-mile trudge. strengthened and refreshed. He comes to England with the double idea of regaining what he would consider to be his rights and of having his revenge upon the man who had wronged him. The diagram upon it appears to be a plan of part of a large building with numerous halls. and next morning we advertised in all the papers. inexorably. Now I must kick off my boots and stockings. By heaven.

 trying to raise it. "not to allow your judgment to be biased by personal qualities. no. try a little analysis yourself. He looked across at me." said our visitor. then?" I asked. or at least a just sense of proportion should be observed in treating them." I said. and that she detected a hollow ring in my congratulations. stokers! Make her do all she can! If we burn the boat we must have them!"We were fairly after her now. died upon the 28th of April. That is why I have come to you. However. 'Thank God. and finally. What data could he expect from an uncleaned watch?"Though unsatisfactory.W. then?""I would engage a launch and go down the river on the track of the Aurora. to a deeper and far more tragic mystery. you say?""No. Yet a man has mounted by the window. steamers. Whence. "You would have made an actor. and I was conscious of a strong reaction after the successive excitements of the night. Holmes knocked without receiving any answer.

""Can I do anything? I am perfectly fresh now. then?" I asked. and before we could round them and recover our way the Aurora had gained a good two hundred yards. Roof quite out of reach. and busied himself all evening in an abstruse chemical analysis which involved much heating of retorts and distilling of vapors. "Thank God!" I ejaculated from my very heart. If she were seventeen at the time of her father's disappearance she must be seven-and-twenty now. holding the lamp. What a lucky thing it is that we have had no very heavy rain since yesterday! The scent will lie upon the road in spite of their eight-and-twenty hours' start." he answered. in any of them. There was. and was instantly conscious of a strong tarry smell." I answered." said he." she shouted. down near the water's edge at Lambeth.--Just you carry them down with you.""And I. catching a profusion of notes of admiration. and the initials are as old as the watch: so it was made for the last generation." I said. and. so far. Let us look at it from his point of view."Ask Mr. black with two red stripes.

 But what is all this? Bad business! Bad business! Stern facts here. they flitted from the gloom into the light. Mrs.' too. surprised look come over his face. He had a colored scarf round his chin. and by a broad and powerful bolt. I endeavored to cheer and amuse her by reminiscences of my adventures in Afghanistan; but. The brother died in a fit.""How came he. I assure you that the most winning woman I ever knew was hanged for poisoning three little children for their insurance-money. "Friend Sholto is safe. Holmes. the house seems to be as full as a rabbit-warren!""I think you must recollect me. no; I ain't goin' to lose a whole day to please no one. Athelney Jones. You will see a weasel holding a young rabbit in the window." said I.""I am afraid that you will not be able to wire to me."They are hellish things. of Scotland Yard. more moved than I had ever before seen him. flickering funnel of light in front of us. sprang upon a large barrel which still stood upon the hand-trolley on which it had been brought." said Holmes. I want one boy to be at Mordecai Smith's landing-stage opposite Millbank to say if the boat comes back. "I am frightened! My nerves cannot stand it.

 By heaven. but if the other turns nasty I shall shoot him dead. I am sure." I answered.""That he was. could he conceal the launch and yet have her at hand when wanted? I wondered what I should do myself if I were in his shoes." he said with a certain dogged manner." he remarked."Holmes!" I exclaimed. broken whimpering of a frightened woman. with something black between his knees over which he stooped.--Watson. and. He did not wish to put his head in a halter.""But it was not mere guess-work?""No. doubtless. I found that there was a fresh allusion to the business. please. The hasp sprang open with a loud snap. and the unhallowed dwarf with his hideous face. to scratch the number of the ticket with a pin-point upon the inside of the case. and thought the whole matter out again. It is the unofficial force. and. With his long. for he was very flush of money.""You are not quite in possession of the facts yet.

 with something black between his knees over which he stooped.""And was this wooden-legged man alone?""Couldn't say. with pools of stagnant water and beds of decaying vegetation. sir. merchant-vessels. was in the man's scalp where you still see the mark; this card. sir. clad in a rude sailor dress with a pea-jacket. The staves of the barrel and the wheels of the trolley were smeared with a dark liquid." said Jones. She asked me to. That was the balance of probability. half a glass. or at least a just sense of proportion should be observed in treating them." said I. although I spoke of Mr. but he presently reappeared. was the same that had contained the ill- omened treasure of the Sholtos. kindly glance from one to the other of us." said Holmes. We flashed past barges. "It is more probable that he had arranged his affairs before ever he set out upon his expedition."He held down the lamp to the floor. that is all.""Dear little chap!" said Holmes. On the contrary. A quarter of an hour's drive brought us to Mrs.

"I appreciate their importance."The little man obeyed in a half-stupefied fashion. We cannot pick up the broken trail until we find either the Aurora or Mr.She was seated by the open window."Good-day." he said. Mr. I suddenly felt that I could hold out no longer. In the year 1878 my father. by the way. No. sharp at one end and rounded at the other." he said. almost complete; but we must not err on the side of over-confidence. on the other hand. see everything. "I have been turning it over in my mind.""You have an extraordinary genius for minutiae. But what is all this? Bad business! Bad business! Stern facts here. or at least a just sense of proportion should be observed in treating them. as though the climb were too much for him. No doubt we shall know all about it in time. "I believe that they are really after us."This was an unexpected obstacle. 'There ain't naught amiss with her rudder. but is there any resemblance between this hand and that of your father?""Nothing could be more unlike. That.

 Ask the young lady to step up. no. I have other resources; but I shall try them first." I said. Sholto's person. and you will not have long to wait."The date?" asked Holmes. eagerly. Small could not find out.--though parallel cases suggest themselves from India. No hinges at the side. have known him.""Then take it off."She glanced at iron box. On getting into the room I at once looked for the means by which the poison had entered the system. when it opened. Thaddeus."As he spoke. vaporous air. S. the half-opened door. Oh.--that your brother was often at low water. He was a sunburned. the deep rich tones of her voice."I looked at the round. Further arrests may be expected at any moment.

 we flashed our search-light in every direction. to judge by the way he stamped about when he got into the room." said Holmes.""Don't promise too much. They have always been a terror to shipwrecked crews. What sober man's key could have scored those grooves? But you will never see a drunkard's watch without them." said Holmes. and I shall ask you for a true account of the matter. He was closely followed by an inspector in uniform. It was clear that he thought that our night's work might be a serious one. And."I confess that I had my doubts myself when I reflected upon the great traffic which had passed along the London road in the interval. whereas the barrel passed down the roadway. more utterly inexplicable." he answered.-- Holmes's new method of search." He was.""Ah! She's not that old green launch with a yellow line. a good many of the criminal classes begin to know me. She asked me to. 'The sign of the four.""And I. with the yellow light of the lantern shining upon his protruded face and twinkling distrustful eyes. I think that may be dismissed. but at the sixteenth--Jacobson's--I learned that the Aurora had been handed over to them two days ago by a wooden-legged man. I expected it.""She did not think so.

 The two Smiths." said Sherlock Holmes. McMurdo. "Our friend won't keep us out in the cold now. I hope he's not going to be ill. Jonathan Small would give a good deal not to have employed him. Bartholomew Sholto. Paul's. In an experience of women which extends over many nations and three separate continents. pensively. if it were only a day. On this our guide knocked with a peculiar postman-like rat-tat. I could hear the wooden leg clackin' on the stones. There is a trap-door communicating with the roof. "not to allow your judgment to be biased by personal qualities. and that night he did choose. Where is the key?""Small threw it into the Thames. No. Mahomet Singh. The box was empty!No wonder that it was heavy. I am sure. dreamy. and no qualities save those which are commonplace have any function upon earth.""Or that Mrs." He tossed over. although I spoke of Mr. I cannot have the house invaded in this way.

 in and out.--the secret room in which the treasure was found. would you take a nip at the gentleman?" This to a stoat which thrust its wicked head and red eyes between the bars of its cage. Mary. I ventured to say something to him about cooling medicine. Jones. but there was no sign of the Islander. with something black between his knees over which he stooped. That was the balance of probability. Thaddeus." I answered. a curious paper was found in papa's desk which no one could understand. and as he stood poising himself with legs astride I could see that from the thigh downwards there was but a wooden stump upon the right side. sir. The date of the watch is nearly fifty years back. "You will. Can I rely upon you?""Most certainly. like two children.--the shrill. Major Sholto remains at peace for some years." said Holmes. We were round after her in an instant. indeed! You did notice it." said Holmes. Suddenly Small learns that the major is on his death-bed. for he had not even to put his nose on the ground. His hands were far from horny.

 then." said he. the house seems to be as full as a rabbit-warren!""I think you must recollect me. Watson."She glanced at iron box.--especially since our friend here took to publishing some of my cases: so I can only go on the war-path under some simple disguise like this. then?""Perfectly. On getting into the room I at once looked for the means by which the poison had entered the system. Thaddeus Sholto could have been in any way concerned in the matter. I chose his launch because I heard that she was a flier. Sholto's death. I helped him to do it! I was the last person who saw him! I left him here last night." said I. Holmes glanced at it. Are you game for a six-mile trudge. because the thong is commonly passed between.--his own. I have seen something of the rough side of life. When I looked back on the long chain of curious circumstances. they flitted from the gloom into the light."Lend me your bull's-eye. I have never known him so brilliant. but your friends must just stop where they are. I made no remark. Cecil Forrester.--the sign of the four. Just imagine what it must be to be so rich.

 but the gatekeeper. and shooting keen glances to right and left. Sholto. The soft light of a shaded lamp fell upon her as she leaned back in the basket chair. Or perhaps you are too tired?""By no means. Thaddeus. Then he waddled round in circles." I said."At this moment there was a loud ring at the bell. Now. "They have taken to a boat here.""In God's name. and then burst into a passion of weeping. With all the will in the world. See how the irrepressible Greek e will break out. for Thaddeus Sholto's teeth were chattering in his head. "These fellows are sharper than I expected. "With reference to the Upper Norwood tragedy. and see if I can put you to sleep. and I had found her bright and placid by the side of the frightened housekeeper. No fresh details were to be found. with the yellow light of the lantern shining upon his protruded face and twinkling distrustful eyes. This. sir. however. When I came down to our room I found the breakfast laid and Homes pouring out the coffee." said Holmes.

 inscrutable smile upon his face. and I had heard the reasons for his deductions. and you now pretend to deduce this knowledge in some fanciful way. if you had joined the fancy. Had to be certain of your friends before I let them in.--so sorely had she been tried by the adventures of the night. or 'risus sardonicus. Bernstone. "but the thing is quite natural. She may have touched at any wharf on either side of the stream between here and Greenwich. sharp. I glanced my eyes down it. lop-eared creature. followed by a stoutish. like a chest constructed to carry things of great price. "has caused us rather to lose sight of the original purpose of our journey. but I hardly expected that it would stand that test. "It is cocaine. Robert Street. The furnaces roared."It is a romance!" cried Mrs. Apply them. "it would prevent me from taking a second dose of cocaine. whining eagerly. of course. Where is the mystery in all this?""It is as clear as daylight. that is the housekeeper's room.

 "I have brought you something which is worth all the news in the world.""Isn't it gorgeous!" said Holmes. None of the other houses were inhabited. looking up to us from time to time." "coup-de-maitres. the pleasure of finding a field for my peculiar powers. taking to drink."Our meal was a merry one. It was a wild and desolate place. In shape and size it was not unlike a cigarette-case." he said. We shall take it and cross the river. too. How was the window?""Fastened; but there are steps on the sill. On the contrary. Surely it is no great feat to assume that a man who treats a fifty-guinea watch so cavalierly must be a careless man. With every throb of the engines we sprang and quivered like a living thing. nor has Mrs. Beside it is written. "Has anything else occurred to you?""Yes. It is that the chief proof of man's real greatness lies in his perception of his own smallness. He would send a scout on ahead."The small change was made. Never have I seen features so deeply marked with all bestiality and cruelty. A double line of glass-stoppered bottles was drawn up upon the wall opposite the door. On getting into the room I at once looked for the means by which the poison had entered the system.It was nearly two o'clock when we reached Mrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment