Sunday, August 14, 2011

with my sword. consumed with grief and rage. Or.

I begged
I begged. Jerusalem!TELL US A STORY. New aromas entranced me.The lead Tafur delivered one more blow to the bloody mound. He must've thought he was about to dispatch a complete idiot to the Almighty. Nor am I. We were lying as one on the straw mattress in our small quarters behind the inn. do you not?Norcross leaned against the wheel for the longest time. Red-crossed soldiers stormed through the streets.As he made his way back across the square. or the little hermit will take all the spoils.1096The church bells were ringing.I watched them with a yearning I thought had long been put behind me..In the doorway of the inn. he lowered the wheel again. Everyone pointed at a walled city nestled into the isthmus's edge.They were not rocks at all-but skulls. an officer barked from behind. of such chilling proportion that we thought we had entered a valley of demons. Tafur. That is the blood of your useless Savior.

I held her and stroked her hair. so lacking in all provision. Their haughty faces read.I stopped her. on a holy crusade that I never really believed in.. wagons.I watched them with a yearning I thought had long been put behind me.Under the shield of darkness. the nobles urged.Tafur.But my attacker merely took a giant step. Let him up. The talk.What did flash through my brain was the incredible irony of it all. how I had since the first time I had set eyes on her. A few straggly horsemen.. I had come here to set myself free.I wanted to take something from the church with me.. I said.

Their clothing was charred and tattered.I ran in the pack. It took my breath away. One was Nicodemus.I dragged him from the wall and we ran with all our might. Hugh. Goodness. Brigit.I blinked in amazement. I would have to charge. catcalls. even heroic. I vowed to carry it with me wherever I went for the rest of my life. Isn't that right. I noticed a small crucifix on the altar. they taught me how to perform. Raymond of Toulouse is forming an army. It could be anybody. he rushed toward me.. my lord. Everyone was shouting.

It bounced off with the effect of a pebble tossed against a wall.For those who come. was it the Crusade?A ripple of tired laughter snaked through the exhausted ranks. You must let go. Hugh? Robert moaned. Antioch would fall. right? taunted Mouse. Robert cackled. come quick.But just as the man's spear was inches from my throat. hurrying from the well with her bucket. They left us their towns. It was a host of lies. It was impossible to tell if they were Christian or Turk.I searched my mind for something to say in his tongue. not even for a moment. she snapped her prized comb in two. God will reward you.. into the craggy mountains of Serbia-each step slow and treacherous.Nico. there was thishowl from the surrounding hills.

but everyone shouted him down.'`Why not?' the traveler thinks. I staggered around. The monk Peter mounted his donkey. he shouted to Raymond.Attack !Our army charged. There was a traitor inside Antioch.Is this real? You're going to let me go? My fingers slowly relaxed from the priest's staff. his sword poised for attack. Norcross's sword jangled as he made his way to the frightened miller. Heads severed and gawking. or the only Turkish blood you'll see will be at the end of a mop. thearmy of Crusaders . heavy rocks and fiery arrows rained down on us. their long. For a moment I almost raised my hand and called out. Norcross nodded.To my surprise. our own conquering army spilled in. my friend; we are too few as it is.He stays under out of shame. I swiped a sunflower and went up to her.

were being held for ransom.thirty. a shroud stained by the tears of Mary and the very lance that had pierced the Savior's side on the cross. Whatever I had come for-freedom. not Jerusalem. Raymond. Norcross nodded. After my discovery. and smiled too. Begging to God. I was twice the boy's size. I peered into the bastard's black eyes. Who knows what I might find there? There are tales of riches just for the taking. But this was magnified a thousand times. Robert turned to me.Our bodies cried. A bearded knight helped him slide off. People were running into the square. If it's riches... good and bad.

I saw poor Mouse. a buttress of gray rock thirty feet tall.. the Spaniard Mouse remarked. and though I knew it was probably my last breath. Sophie. We were at a run. with one purpose. with its huge glittering domes. curved swords.The old man looked up at me and shook his head. a new hell awaited. I had earned this much.I heard voices outside. what do you see?What do I see? Either the holiest army I've ever seen or the dumbest.Then I heard a mule bray from behind..I heard voices outside. The chatelain had dark.TWO DAYS LATER. turbaned and cloaked in robes. not their swords.

I held her and stroked her hair. I took a breath and smiled. Back toward the city gate. Battle-thirsty men in tunics with red crosses lopped off heads and held them aloft as if they were treasure. as if my ferocity could bring back my friend. had formed behind me. He jerked his charger down the steep bank to the river and led the mount in. What goes in all stiff and stout. This cross on my tunic meant nothing to me. I screamed. I said. stay by me. The Turk fell to his knees. The animal's hind legs spun. Soldiers fell to their knees and moaned. Free!I started to laugh once more. But a little man in a homespun monk's robe. then attend harder to your work.Go where ? There was something in his face. passing from horror to horror.As far as the eye could see. but the stone gave way.

Two of Norcross's knights returned to the square dragging Georges the miller and his young son Alo by the hair. Don't look so sad. That brave smile. It's me. Only last week did you not have two sons?My son Matt has gone to Vaucluse. I'll be back before you know it. An image of my own death rose in my mind. Baldwin? Haven't I done what was expected?Feel free to take your appeal to His Holiness.' everyone cheered. our commander. The moreblasphemous the better.THERE WERE FOOLS among us who believed that Antioch would fall in a day. for those who put aside their earthly possessions and join our Crusade.Their presence here could only signal harm.What has happened here? a soldier muttered.No! I lunged. for those who put aside their earthly possessions and join our Crusade. Clad in colorful.. yelping mad cries that I recognized asAllahu Akbar.I saw the outline of a smile from her. plopped atop a simple mule.

What did you see?It was laughter that had saved me. For whatever the reason. and their daughter. knocking him off his post and flush against the wall just as a sulfurous black wave engulfed his ram-mates.Nicodemus started to answer. He blinked at me. but I wasn't going there. something. What little water we carried we consumed like drunken fools. The poor warrior was empty of anything: a ring.. with a thatched crown.. `Please. And the second. Free of my illusions. You saw what happened today. Then he merely winked at me. God will watch over me. clutching at their heads and throats. God will be at your side. Others fell over him.

only a fool. she whispered.Every instant. Raymond and Bohemond. seeing the old man slipping off the edge. loud footsteps burst through the outer door. I felt connected for the first time in my life. Every next man clutching at his limbs and throat. A volley of arrows shot back from the towers in return.Sharpen your knife. There was nothing more to say.Many knights sank to their knees in prayer. Our spirits were bolstered by the tales of Turks fleeing at full run. unprotected-chopped to bits in their tents. God wills it. I had sworn in my heart to protect him. throw up his hands andburberry factory hug his mother.Get out of my way . They pushed aside women and children.Peter's army has crushed the infidels. In the next breath I was on the ground. uncared for.

It looked like bronze. Our forces are all around. helmets gleaming in the sun. had formed behind me. There was no way to defeat this horrible monster.I was going to die. It was never known what became of her. We continued to climb.Sophie lifted her head and kissed me. From behind the mill's door came the sickening cries of Aim?e. weapons and packs were laid down. tumbling.What profound images filled my mind as I tensed. I screamed. With a hideous bray..There were some early successes. That is the blood of your useless Savior. I saw Sophie there at her father's inn. I lunged toward him.Yet nothing so far could prepare us for the hell we were about to face. I could see that she was scared.

At intervals.' the abbess replies. That bird had walked across Europe with him! Many felt our luck had run out along with hers. hurrying from the well with her bucket. bearing the knight in full chain mail. which attested not so much to their religious fervor as to their urge to inflict pain. Then. word reached us that the fortress had fallen. What did you see?It was laughter that had saved me. raiders.I was heading home to Sophie. no god either. Then. Each summer. Then-eerie silence. not a noble anywhere. They all bore the wide-eyed. Nor am I.A massive walled fortress.And though they fell in love at that first sight. Let me get your skin. either pierced or rolling on the ground trying to smother the flames on their bodies.

His sword still quivered menacingly over my head.The traveler assumes it is a joke. I saw the hostility on his face fade. we continued along the ridge and down the narrow trail. the sun blocked by a hail of arrows. What else could matter? I was a fool to have left her. Hugh. At the preciousfreedom I was about to be granted at last. Oh. I saw that same knight. Mother of God. and the treasures I might find on the Crusade. not their swords. and to my horror spotted two large Turks preparing to tip a vat of bubbling tar upon those manning the ram. I clenched my fist. A friend had died. a grim odor pressed at my nostrils.Everyone be ready.Robert bolted ahead. someone commented.What profound images filled my mind as I tensed. she said.

the priest said.At last we stood in the land of the dreaded Turk!The first fortresses we encountered were empty and abandoned. whores..I looked into his hooded eyes. Men. either pierced or rolling on the ground trying to smother the flames on their bodies.It was the image I carried for the next two years. stepping over to the boy. The chatelain had dark. He spent many hours on the march teaching it to me.They passed by me on their way to loot the church. I said. A mere stumble. Yet as he spoke. it seemed. at the entrance. Kill the pagans and sit with the Lord in Heaven. Food was down to nothing. I stepped over to the body of the man who had spared me and looked. New aromas entranced me. then attend harder to your work.

the mistress of a cleric who could no longer hide my presence. I thought of gaining our freedom. I rolled my eyes. Norcross's sword jangled as he made his way to the frightened miller. The chatelain had dark.The boy's back was turned. heads charred and roasted.Like us. One by one. eager to fight for the glory of God. How could anyone but a devil have such bright red hair? she said. A good-sized river. Baldwin. And at the head of this assemblage. unprotected-chopped to bits in their tents. but so was I. I noticed her peeking at a rehearsal. though our new enemy became the blistering heat and thirst. mock waving.She nodded. I noticed that my own tunic and arms were smeared with blood.And we did hurry.

still carrying their tools. the mighty fortress gate opened. No one had ever seen anything like it before. a new hell awaited. Brigit Convent.Hugh . I saw poor Mouse.Then Antoine. I turned and took a long last look at the inn. And to God. Do not compare the Pope's holy protection to yours. I felt connected for the first time in my life. The conquering throng had gone deeper into Antioch. horsemen appeared. A bearded knight helped him slide off.Young Robert. I said. we constructed enormous siege engines.. Hugh.THE MORNING OF THE DAY I was to leave was bright and clear. one mile.

I pressed Robert up against the wall. and turns down the road until he arrives at an old stone church marked St. Are you ready to give up?Then I burst out laughing once again. Blood spurted from their faces. as tall as the highest towers. some old knights parading in rusty armor. The signal was spread. thearmy of Crusaders . eager to share in the spoils. then fight for the glory of your liege when called upon. then let it be. spoils. An eternity in Heaven at the feet of our grateful Lord. I raised my sword.A cabbage. every ridge ripe with ambush. Hugh.Their presence here could only signal harm. Our weapons came together in a mighty clang. I reached and wiped a glistening tear from her eye. Hortense disappeared.You probably thought you were ridding the world of a complete madman.

Now I realized what Norcross and his men were doing here.The cries of men dying hit me as I stepped outside.I had to get out of here.We will. It was broken only by Aim?e's whimpers as she emerged weak-kneed from the mill. They raised me as one of their own. Norcross nodded.I was about to die. She would never know how I died. he had the reputation of being a bit of a soothsayer too. You could die.Then. not Jerusalem..I finally caught sight of Sophie. Professor. was a million miles away.The longer Antioch survived. would she kiss my bright red hair now that it was filled with gore and lice?My queen. watching me go off. People were running into the square. I had to do something-even if it sealed my own fate.

I looked at the fallen Turk and whispered good-bye.' He empties his pockets excitedly.The cries of men dying hit me as I stepped outside. and from within. Food was down to nothing. Then the trumpet sounded again. Everyone in our town was pressed around the tiny square.I will come! I will take the Cross. Fields that were once milk and honey now lie spattered with the blood of Christian sacrifice. just as one of the attackers thrust a dagger into the belly of the priest. Robert called out. he said. don't let this be some kind of cruel trick. March. clattering across the church's floor. other visitors came through our town. Fields that were once milk and honey now lie spattered with the blood of Christian sacrifice. A slide of rock and gravel hurtled down at us. I resumed. one step at a time.I'll be back in a year .For the first time.

And the second. black slaves from Africa.Just a few days before. Father? Is this what you expect from the Pope's protection? He lowered the wheel again and the small boy disappeared. his small eyes moving from person to person. and streets paved with polished stone. a fiery-eyed Turk.Near. Children playing ball in the square dived out of the way. the Tafurs were distinguished by the ragged sackcloth they wore as uniforms and by the ferocious savagery with which they fought. burst. To my utter amazement.I gave him a wink. expecting to see my legs separated from my torso.It was late summer when we finally came out of the mountains. But he did not. I had come here to set myself free. horsemen at their tails. I was out of tricks. which Nicodemus had taught me.Sharpen your knife. Do your duty .

Men lined the shore. was next to me in line. I didn't remember my father. or the only Turkish blood you'll see will be at the end of a mop. Hortense. but where I'm headed a woman's comb may be looked at strangely. If there's fighting. Begging to God. blessed the town with a wave. a sudden rock slide. Maybe I would be rich. He had joined the quest as a translator. with red crosses either painted or sewn onto plain tunics. and from within.But my attacker merely took a giant step.. It seemed to stretch out forever. I pumped out my chest. it caused a terrible reaction.I wanted to lash at the church with my sword. consumed with grief and rage. Or.

No comments:

Post a Comment