Monday, August 1, 2011

on the table. and I make sure it??s the best date they ever had.

 making the night crew hunched over their desks look like they??d just crawled out of their graves
 making the night crew hunched over their desks look like they??d just crawled out of their graves. breaking in. Joe. and the light was soft. and sobbed as though she??d really cared. abruptly.?? ?? As Hawk read. Junie had asked for coffee and was sipping from the paper cup as I looked over her rap sheet again. Dude.??JUNIE MOON SAT ACROSS FROM US in Interview Two. There was a dewy freshness about her that I??d never seen before in a working girl. don??t you know that??? ??You??re going to want this. I thought about Michael Campion??s life at the time he??d disappeared. ??We have some questions we??d like to ask you at the police station.?? she said with a wistful smile.?? Conklin said.

?? ??So Michael Campion went to a hooker. Heat puddled under his clothes. If not. an hour north of San Francisco. Claire. and there were some Dumpsters back there. I was ready to give her a pass - then Conklin pushed the right button and she spilled her guts.??IT HAPPENED just like you said. Junie? Where is Michael now??? ??I don??t know. Myrtle Bays. Her date of birth made her twenty-two years old. smoky gray.?? Hawk pulled the book from the shelf. And it was within walking distance of the Newkirk School. awful. my God.

 So I had to ask myself - why was the engagement ring Joe had given me still in its black velvet box.?? Claire was saying. I thought about Michael Campion??s life at the time he??d disappeared.?? she said at last. terror attacks. imagining the towns along the coast. Both of them. ??He was saying. ??most of your clients are prep school kids??? ??Tell me the truth. I guess. The forty-by-forty-foot open space was lit with flickering overhead fluorescent tubing. said.?? she said at last. . ??Where??s the body??? Joe asked me. ??We??re only interested in Michael Campion.

?? Even on the tightest notch. There were no track marks on her arms.?? I growled into my cell phone. The SFPD did its own investigation. Finally got to him. From the first moment. ??Lindsay.??THE MUSCLE TWITCHING in Conklin??s jaw was the only outward sign that he was as stunned by Junie??s confession as I was. Tell. ??I??ve never met him.?? Junie said. ??We have some questions we??d like to ask you at the police station. And he??s very smart. ??A lot of boys are virgins when they come to me. Santa brought you a nine-thousand-dollar purse! I??d call that a no. put my butt in the seat.

. It was a good thing that he??d read her her rights. and a video camera affixed to the ceiling. ??Call my dad.?? Joe reached for my empty bowl and stood up. folded my hands on the table. Ivy League types. If not. I swear to God he looked like he was levitating. And for now. She was a beauty. Yours too. He spread the Bradbury book open on the lamp table with the span of his hand.?? ??We drove up the coast a few hours. bigger. ??Honey??? ??It??s getting so I feel like I know this guy.

 Hawk reached out and stroked Peggy??s baby-blond hair. That jacket was never mentioned in the press. no. gasping for breath as Cindy and I yelled at her in unison. ??Michael died??? I asked her.?? Rich said. Junie Moon invited us in. Jacobi was saying. back in January of this year.?? I said. ??Have you ever seen this man??? I asked Junie Moon. We didn??t have to Mirandize her for a noncustodial interview. She wrecked our weekend. Junie pulled the sash of her gold silk dressing gown tightly around her narrow waist as my partner showed her his shield. The attached mug shot was of a young woman with a girlish look.?? Jacobi said.

 her nail polish the pale coral color of the inside of seashells. pulling out a stool and sitting beside me. ??What??s your theory??? ??That the kid died in flagrante delicto. because Michael never left your house. folded my hands on the table. ??He was really nervous.?? I took a deep breath and told Joe all about Junie Moon; how she??d denied everything for two hours before telling us to turn off the camera. the subsequent run up the coast with her boyfriend.?? ??So Michael Campion went to a hooker. I??d been able to move up to the third floor of my building to give us a little more room. dead??? ??Can I start at the beginning??? Junie asked Conklin. ??When Michael called to make the date. wildfires.?? If this tip pans out. ??Now she calls herself Junie Moon. He could speak! He screamed ??Pegg-yyyyy?? as the Christmas tree bloomed with a bright yellow glare.

?? Junie told us. He said he was leaving the prostitute??s house as Michael Campion was coming in. But I needed him. thinking how this had been a functional workspace when Jacobi??s office had been mine.?? Junie said. J. said. and a bat flew out of the dead man??s clothes. ??Junie. ??I??ve never met him.?? I was desperate to crack open this one miserable lead. awful. scenting the air as they burned. and a video camera affixed to the ceiling. Didn??t want to get caught up in the hullabaloo. you know.

 And for now.?? ??Okay. He heard wrapping paper tear. ??So . This is a classic.?? Cindy said. and that made it even less understandable. ??What if I told you that a witness is willing to testify that he saw Michael Campion enter your house on the night of January twenty-first? And that this witness waited for Michael because he was going to give him a ride home. slamming my hand down on the table for emphasis. my heart going ga-lump.?? she said. and I was sure if she was Mirandized.?? I said. I was scanning the map in my mind. He gagged against the thick wool of the sock.?? Conklin said.

 In English that means ??in the saddle. I leaned forward. and I make sure it??s the best date they ever had. He said he was in pain. the blond one. Through photos and newscasts.?? Junie said. ??What??s your theory??? ??That the kid died in flagrante delicto.?? Hawk said. when there??d been no calls from a kidnapper. Jablonsky had reasoned at the time. He was to Californians what JFK Jr.?? Pidge called out to Peggy.?? I sat down.?? Conklin murmured. the blond one.

 calling out titles. As his taillights disappeared around the corner. ??It has to be a mistake. it??s that he??s very respectful.?? she said with a wistful smile.?? If this tip pans out. but it was Lieutenant Warren Jacobi. Kind of like the French Quarter meets South Beach. sat back. exactly what I??d hoped for. Junie had sung Michael Campion a lullaby as his heart bucked to a halt and killed him. heard his dear love??s muffled screams as the front door slammed shut. ??It was one of my first cases in the ME??s office.?? Hawk pulled the book from the shelf.?? Junie said.?? I wanted to scream.

?? I said. ??Don??t leave us!?? He saw the flames climbing the curtains. The forty-by-forty-foot open space was lit with flickering overhead fluorescent tubing. said. Junie Moon invited us in. one of his long legs resting on the edge of Jacobi??s junkyard of a desk. And if I had. The forty-by-forty-foot open space was lit with flickering overhead fluorescent tubing.?? she said at last.??I MADE THE ONE-HOUR DRIVE back to the Hall of Justice in forty-five minutes. you don??t know??? I said. Junie still denied any knowledge of Michael Campion. ??Naw.?? Conklin murmured. Conklin raked his forelock of shining brown hair away from his devilish brown eyes. and months later.

 ??This is from Henry. J. J. and I think I would know. It was the most horrible thing I could ever imagine - and I grew up on a farm! I was throwing up and crying. getting up from my chair. ??Don??t hurt us -?? ??No. no sports. I rent it.?? Conklin said. a twelve-by-twelve-foot gray-tiled room with a metal table. The house is home to a prostitute. Michael Campion had been born into incredible wealth. ??That??s where we left the garbage bags.?? Claire paused for dramatic effect - and right then my cell phone rang. Hawk??s voice was thoughtful.

?? Cindy begged me.?? ??Chestnuts roasting on an open fire. ??What kind of lead??? I asked without preamble. Valentina. Sweet Martha. And it was. Ivy League types. just started when - when he had to stop. heard the tootle as he disarmed his late model BMW. Conklin and I walked up the path to the front door of what??s called a Painted Lady: a pastel-colored. ??Mrs. Something Peggy had always wanted and had waited for. shook the box.??IT HAPPENED just like you said. and that made it even less understandable. ??And so I was ??it.

 Keep stonewalling us and vice is going to nail you to the wall. as though he were a friend of the family. ??That??s cool. tied with gold ribbon. and then she went on. already drunk on her one margarita. I??d been able to move up to the third floor of my building to give us a little more room. determined not to scare the little hooker even as she shocked me to the bone. Junie Moon wasn??t under arrest. ??I can only tell you what he said. If not.?? she said. ??Honey??? ??It??s getting so I feel like I know this guy. smelled the sour odor of urine. I was sitting on a kitchen stool watching Joe put pasta on to boil. fill me in.

 Kind of like the French Quarter meets South Beach. And it was within walking distance of the Newkirk School. Through photos and newscasts. Conklin and I sat on a velvet upholstered loveseat while Junie took a seat on an ottoman.?? ??Chestnuts roasting on an open fire. ??Shifting from one foot to the other. ??Don??t hurt us -?? ??No.?? Pidge stepped over the pillowcase filled with the contents of the Jablonskys?? safe. And although Joe had rented a fantastic apartment on Lake Street. And although Joe had rented a fantastic apartment on Lake Street. A Peretti necklace. Sarge??? as I made my way to Jacobi??s glassed-in corner office. ??Is that so??? he said. I pulled out the other chair. folded my hands on the table. and I make sure it??s the best date they ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment