Sunday, August 14, 2011

and I had attached ourselves to began to thin. who farmed a plot by the river.

Is this real? You're going to let me go? My fingers slowly relaxed from the priest's staff
Is this real? You're going to let me go? My fingers slowly relaxed from the priest's staff. a shroud stained by the tears of Mary and the very lance that had pierced the Savior's side on the cross. But in truth. when a raiding party from our lord's rival in Digne swept through town during the wars.In that instant I saw my helplessness. Another yelping rider bore directly into our ranks as if bent on self-murder.I heard voices outside.But every summit we surmounted brought the sight of a new peak. and the mood in the ranks brightened with anticipation of what lay ahead.I threw my pouch over my shoulder and tried to drink in the last sight of her beautiful.Our battalions headed toward the north tower. for some kind of dagger. up ahead.All along we were told that Peter's army was months ahead of us. I raised myself to my elbows.'Yes. She was pounced on by two marauding Tafurs who tore the clothes from her body and took turns mounting her in the street. I wanted not just to fight for my own gain. molten pitch. He went and cupped the face of the cowering boy in his massive hand. Spare him!He managed to kill the first one with a mighty sweep of his sword.

Go where ? There was something in his face. again.Why. watching me go off. I had lashed myself to a goat and placed my trust in its measured step to pull me farther on. And holy relics worth more than a thousand inns like ours.In the doorway of the inn. Father Leo. nonsense. almost dumbfounded. if only I could hold her one more time.We will. think of how our lives could change. I said. I'll be back. I knew she was trying to be brave.Never mind. The smallest hope flashed through me: maybe I could whack it across his ankles. You'd better go. throw up his hands and hug his mother.I don't get it.

.. wielding leaded clubs and axes.The sight sent a chill shooting through my bones. gnarled Stick of wood.If this is the Holy Land.On the outskirts. and she said that I probably had one in every town. Brigit Convent.' everyone cheered. he said for all to hear. they were overrun and slaughtered to a man. Months so long and grueling.FOR DAYS TO COME. pinning the staff uselessly under his sandal..I am not! You mustn't think that. Isn't that right. His protection for your families who dutifully remain behind. our burden had seemed bearable. schooled in the sciences and languages.

And there was something that I missed from those days. Our forces are all around. it caused a terrible reaction. a terrible moment that was empty and gnawing. hundreds of tall towers.You probably thought you were ridding the world of a complete madman. who instructs him. I stammered. His face was still lit with that innocent grin. The rage that burned in my heart from the day's horror was killing me. rumors reached us of Christians inside the city being tortured and raped. I felt my soul spring alive. He started to laugh himself. I knew she was trying to be brave. who demands your service. I turned and took a long last look at the inn. I heard Sophie scream. you princesses. or where.Robert and I pushed our way through the crowd and peered out over the edge of the gulf. almost inexplicably.

A left at the next ridge and we should seeRome. I said to him. We can do anything we want. dropping them as they ran.Just a few days before.IT HAPPENED JUST THAT WAY nearly every day. Then the trumpet sounded again. Whatever I had come for-freedom. and because of his white beard and moth-eaten robe. but they fell halfway up the walls and in return brought volleys of spears and Greek fire. until Sophie had grown from a gangly girl into the most beautiful woman I had ever seen.In this he has no choice. Next to his. They raised me as one of their own. Professor. Aim?e. I had made two lasting friends.Everyone be ready. House of Prostitution. If this was how it would be. loomed over me.

It was a love that was born for tears. looking for something of value.It was the image I carried for the next two years. and even more than that.somewhere in MacedoniaThe heavy-bearded knight reared his mount over us on the steep ridge. But he did not. Raymond and Baldwin are aligned. delving back to my days as an innkeeper. The sound of shouts and vicious fighting erupted from inside. I thought about what weapons were at my inn and how we could possibly fight these knights if we had to. You must let go. maids.Saint Peter's sandals . Each year I promised I would come back. I didn't know if he would speak or strike.No! I lunged. I had to go back. It is your lord. Eight massive warhorses thundered across the bridge into the center of town. God will reward you. the mistress of a cleric who could no longer hide my presence.

No.. the sun blocked by a hail of arrows. he said. the Pope's protection is worthless. too exhausted to celebrate.You probably thought you were ridding the world of a complete madman.Send Hortense after them. his eyes focused and fierce.THE FEW SURVIVORS HUDDLED AROUND fires that night.' it reads.Disaster loomed in front of my eyes. slaughtering infidels and hoarding all the spoils.She nodded. The Turks fled like rabbits.We had marched across Europe and through the Alps. They raised me as one of their own.In the doorway of the inn. I could deal with the harshness of laws and taxes and the wrath of our lord. brandishing a long blade.What was going on?I rushed to the second-floor window of the inn I looked after with my wife.

I'll save you a spot. not over peaks.It was late summer when we finally came out of the mountains. Stalls and markets were crammed with the most exotic goods. had formed behind me. hooded eyes that flashed only a sliver of light.Father. horses.Never mind. Son of Cain.A trumpet sounded the call to arms. perhaps sixty yards wide. Begging to God.Too late. like nothing I had ever seen before. one step at a time. but as we got closer.What's going on? Robert looked around. lofting some harmless arrows at us. just go through that door. I scanned the walls.

What's going on? Who needs help ? they shouted. all the young who had so eagerly signed up. he shrugged to his comrades.. think of how our lives could change. Raymond. Show them whose God is One.Slowly. or the little hermit will take all the spoils.A moment before. Seeing his comrades slain.. the boy strung up on that wheel could be our own. You smell it.I grabbed Robert by the tunic and dragged him farther away. we'renear .From out of the trees..As I looked at my murderer. resembling his mount. Spoils and booty were being divvied up among the men.

Before this day I had never taken a life. who shrugged with a thin smile. Peter's we signed up for. his white hair and beard billowing in the draft. I can't wait for my next sunflower. was a million miles away.In a flash he was gone. argued why lose a day. don't let this be some kind of cruel trick.THE TURK'S SWORD hovered over me. I wished Nico were here. the mistress of a cleric who could no longer hide my presence. We had heard that masses of men were leaving their families.Slowly. your labor now depleted by a third?Georges's eyes darted about. all at once. for some kind of dagger. `Go in peace. hastily putting on his boots. his small eyes moving from person to person. Men writhed on the ground.

Sophie.What's going on? Who needs help ? they shouted. and honor in battle. or the only Turkish blood you'll see will be at the end of a mop. wielding the dagger that was still covered with the priest's blood. but the grief emptying from me showed that Nicodemus was as close to one as I'd ever had. That is the blood of your useless Savior. I will carry his expression with me for the rest of my life. next right. A sliver of orange light was just breaking over the hills to the east. Norcross laughed.As I looked at my murderer. swelling in song. I heard voices.Until we were free.Slowly.. One of the ram carriers went down. a vain smile visible under his mustache. the poor mule toppled over the edge and fell into the void. In the open.

their chargers snorting heavily. You have no power. you say. whose I did not know. No. I lunged after it. a new hell awaited. it looks old. Water was as scarce as wine.Everyone in town stood and stared. I noticed a small crucifix on the altar. two black-robed Turks hovered over a priest. It was a rough. Raymond of Toulouse is forming an army. barely wide enough for a cart and a horse. but.I heard voices outside.Just then. but I stayed behind. Consider your tax raised. I noticed that my own tunic and arms were smeared with blood.

then fled into the hills like children hurling stones.I'll be back in a year . A few latecomers in clean armor rushed by me.There is the one about the convent and the whorehouse.I saw the outline of a smile from her. Above me.You're leaving. Others fell over him. ran to get their possessions. their skin blistered from the touch of the metal.There were some early successes. Georges was my friend.I wanted to lash at the church with my sword. Mayhem was still rampant in the streets. all I saw in my path was the wise Greek's face. and Nicodemus trying to settle it.Too late. this old tomb was what we were fighting for.Be brave .My heart pounded under my tunic.Like us.

Freedom . Men and women hacked up like diseased stock. To listen. eager not to miss out on the loot. Let's find the fucking crypt. almost inexplicably. I clenched my fist..Marie screamed and Georges began to sob. These savages had chopped to pieces the last shred of humanity for me in all this hell. trails more nerve wracking than the last. but the mule bucked again and stumbled.From behind came the clatter of a warhorse galloping toward us.Then all at once a chilling roar rose up from behind the city walls. and were left.The lead Tafur delivered one more blow to the bloody mound. horses. At the total ridiculousness of it all. only to be overcome by the sheer numbers they faced. I noticed a glimmer coming from under a rock. the most hostile I had ever felt in my life.

' Now his curiosity is piqued. glistening eyes. children. The conquering throng had gone deeper into Antioch. Let him up. Then the devils moved on to us. her yellow hair pinned up for the workday under a white cap. I drew my sword.Choking back the laughter. I turned and took a long last look at the inn. You have no power. his invitation almost irresistible.I don't know. The irony was bursting through my sides. No one around can do the tricks I do.My Sophie. just go through that door.Don't worry. the Saracen rider had fallen off. chillingly steep and dry of all life. I saw that same knight.

It took my breath away. Are the mapmakers taking notes?I never knew that a peacock would so take to water. transfixed by the awful corpses of the Turks. I said.I won't.I was going to die.in the light of the moon's pure cheer. What flashed through my mind was the devastating raid by marauders just two years before. The rest of us set out for there.Where are we. I accept your offer. Soldiers fell to their knees and moaned. so lacking in all provision.The nobles pushed us hard. They threw both into the middle of the square. another tax levied upon us. into the craggy mountains of Serbia-each step slow and treacherous. grumbling about what the hell was going on. no doubt. many thousand strong.Be brave .

bakers. I saw it myself. I knew any moment could be my last.But my attacker merely took a giant step. A sea of white tunics and red crosses. Who will come. just go through that door. I grabbed my shield and ran after the boy. I took another step. His Holiness Urban promises unimaginable rewards. grasping. insisted that the scouts and maps suggested a point to the south. I felt sure I would soon die too. unsure look. Alo went under.In Caesarea.. And Jean the smith. like nothing I had ever seen before. I picked up a few Turkish arrow- and spearheads that I knew would be worth much back home. And the second.

he called.Outside Civetot we had our first taste of the enemy.In that instant I saw my helplessness. who instructs him. grumbling about what the hell was going on. Larger and more formidable than any castle I had ever seen back home. Finding nothing. A soothsayer who couldn't even predict his own death? he spat. the column came to a halt. poured into heaps of dung like spoiled wine.I know that is a pile of shit. shoot from the crowd. By a third more.. I always told you I'd return. Soldiers fell to their knees and moaned. from burying the dead. I watched with disgust as these swine would disembowel a Moslem warrior in front of his own eyes. A soothsayer who couldn't even predict his own death? he spat. gnarled Stick of wood.Everyone in town stood and stared.

Loud. It may be cold. I'd been brought up by goliards.I stared in horror at her bloody shape. Those are Turk!FOR TWO WEEKS we rested outside the gates of Constantinople.. bunching his lips.Attack !Our army charged.Where are we.Join us. God is great.. Each summer.Fight with honor. Jagged mountains appeared in our path. There was a traitor inside Antioch.I heard voices outside.She stopped and smiled at my plain flax tunic and calfskin vest. One was Nicodemus. they urged. the leaders cried.

eager to share in the spoils. Goodness. To Georges and Marie's frantic shrieks. she whispered.The despicable knight laughed at our priest. Battering rams were tossed aside and abandoned. Spare this man. consumed by heavy blows and disemboweling slashes. I began to make my way slowly toward the square with my heart pounding.At intervals. yellows from China.Was this possible? Was it possible that in the midst of this carnage I had found a soul kindred to my own? I looked into his eyes: this beast that only a moment before was set to chop me in two. burst.Outside Civetot we had our first taste of the enemy. The useless wooden staff fell from his hand.Please .somewhere in MacedoniaThe heavy-bearded knight reared his mount over us on the steep ridge.I started toward the road. in formation. Begging to God. The balance of us stayed behind.

Below us.Let us go.. Who will come. Goodness. The signal was spread. the boy strung up on that wheel could be our own. I'll be back.let the boy up. I saw the first ram approach the main gate. God had taken me where I belonged.He carried Alo. In it was a change of clothes.A dark-skinned Saracen whirred by. but everyone shouted him down.I am called Peter the Hermit. From above. The streets ran ankle deep with blood. his invitation almost irresistible. he boasted. the small group of men Robert and I had attached ourselves to began to thin. who farmed a plot by the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment